Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After the stall....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the stall....

I’ve got a pork butt on the smoker at 225°. I hit the stall as expected, and raised the smoker temp to 300° to push past it. That seems to be working, but here’s my question: now that I’ve "passed the stall", should I drop the temp back to 225° or leave it at 300°? And if I drop the temp, do I maybe get myself back into the stall?

It will definitely drop back to stalling if given the chance.

Comment

Yep, drop the temp back a bit. Don't think you need to go all the way back to 225 but dropping it back to 250 or so will work. If you were past the stall you won't go back in.

Comment

Is there a good internal temperature to look for so I can be confident I’m past the stall?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Things can stall all the way into the 180's, but like Joe said, you can go back down to 250, if it stalls, go up to 275.

Personally id leave it at 300 but this is one of those things where you have to try it both ways a few times and figure out what works for you.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I prefer to do also depending on how the smoker is holding temps.
          Great idea to experiment with temps.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          That's how I roll too.

K.

I did this yesterday on an 8 pounder. I run at 250 but it stalled at 170 IT. Cranked it up to 300 for about 45 minutes then backed it down to 275 until IT of 203. Total cook time of 8 hours.

Comment

This is like asking what's your favorite beer. Everyone has their own opinion. It's hard to go wrong with a butt because they are so forgiving. Anywhere between 225F and 300F will work - hotter will just get you there faster. I try to keep it between 250F and 275F the whole way, but I don't worry if it goes a bit lower or higher.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            This. ——^

Yeah, I just settled on cooking at 375°. Done in no time at all. No need to wrap.

Easy, no stall and great bark.

JK 😃

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Insanity!

Dunno, I cook at 225° and don't raise it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Double insanity. Well, maybe not double, but definitely .60% insanity.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            CaptainMike I also inject, which lengthens the cooking time as well. However, the results speak for themselves. If you were to drop one of those pork shoulders, it would pull itself. Many roads to Jerusalem.

Well, thanks for all the help. After a very long day, here's how it all ended for me: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...st-major-issue

Comment

Everything is fine until the wife asks when will dinner be ready. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife doesn't ask. If I am cooking one - it has to be on the Kamado or she will kill me. If I am cooking for people I am responsible for fueling the smoker at 2am, 3am and 4am. She is Ok with taking the 1am and 6am shift.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here