Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pork Belly with cracklin's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pork Belly with cracklin's

I smoked a pork belly, but instead of low 'n slow I cooked it on my BGE at higher temps (300° F), to get it up to temp quicker. I did this specifically to avoid having tough and leathery skin. Also I took it to a lower internal temp (167° F) to make it slice better. So I scored the skin with a knife, then applied my Fish Bait Rub. It's very herby, based on lime pepper, so it was a great match.
    I smoked the pork for almost 2 hours, then cranked up the heat to 11, and began blistering the skin. After a minute I had the skin just right, so I took it in and let it rest 15 minutes before slicing. Man, that was some good stuff! The cracklin's was just perfect, and the meat was juicy and tender. A big hit. I served it with liberal amounts of chives, which was a real good combination together with the pork.

The pork belly, skin getting scored

Click image for larger version

Name:	CrispySkinPorkBelly_raw.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	800935

Here's the belly with rub

Name:	CrispySkinPorkBelly_rub.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	800936

And here's the final result.

Name:	CrispySmokedPorkBelly_IG.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	800937

That looks great.

Comment

Wow.

That's it. That's the comment.

Comment

Damm. I would swim all the way to Sweden for a bite of that!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I honestly think it’s one of the best pork bellies I’ve done. And I’ve done many :-)

That looks delicious.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I’ve been experimenting with low then high two stage for chicken and salmon. Now I have to try this. :-)

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Give it a try and let us know what you think, this turned out great!

You knocked that out of the park, Mr. Hank!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, I'm inclined to agree with you on that one ;-)

Damn Hank you’re getting hard to keep up with. That last picture says it all, absolutely gorgeous. I like your high heat approach, that’s how I cook a porcetta. I want that good cracklin’ experience !! How did you end up serving it ?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Steve! I started by breaking off some cracklin's before anyone else got to it (I see it as the chef's reward), then sliced it and ate it with oven roasted potato wedges and some ricotta cheese mixed up with blue cheese (1:4 ratio on the ricotta vs blue cheese). Dang good.

Cruel I say, cruel.
        Not even crumbs fer is wee ones. 🕶

Comment

That looks wonderful! Perfectly done cracklins!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Very nice!

Comment

I want to eat that so bad.

Comment

Winner Winner Pork Belly Dinner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here