Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs at a later date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs at a later date

Be awhile, but this summer several of us are going fishing for a week at a resort and I'd like to make ribs.
    No smoker, but a Weber Q to reheat.
    I would rather not make the ribs in the weber.
    Any suggestions for precooking and maybe freezing to reheat later?
    TIA

Al

Good question. I haven't done this but if I did I would do the following as an experiment, first. I would do Blasphemy ribs an would pull them just before they were done. I would freeze with a vacuum pack. I would bring foil and would put some sauce in the foil and would reheat from there. If you are in a camping scenario, I would put the foil pack right into or above the fire.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      When I make Blasphemy Ribs there are always leftovers. I reheat them for 10 minutes at 375f with convection in my countertop oven.

Full rack until it cracks. Cold BBQ sauce until sauce thickens. Let cool for some time at room temp and then transfer to freezer to get under 40-F. SLICE COLD.

St Louis only. Reheating is a breeze (albeit warm breeze). I'm doing three racks this weekend for this, have done too many to count in the last few months. They are typically reheated in a microwave.

Comment

I cook as normal, allow to cool a bit, vacuum seal, ice bath, & then freeze. To reheat, I use a sous vide stick to reheat. When reheated, I then sauce and throw on grill to set sauce.
      Last edited by Dr ROK; February 6, 2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

What they said. Reheat on the Q, should be great.

Comment

I'd cut into individual portions, pack in flat packages for faster thawing, and then freeze.

To reheat, I normally warm ribs slowly in a microwave -- buzz for 30 seconds or so, let sit a minute or 2, buzz again, etc. until the ribs are warm throughout but not scorching hot. By not heating them up too much, I think the texture of the ribs stays a little closer to "just off the smoker".

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            ..and they don't have that reheated leftover meat flavor? That's the biggest reason why I eat leftover ribs cold.

K.
            Last edited by fzxdoc; February 5, 2020, 09:35 AM.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I basically warm them only enough to take the chill off. I don't think it changes the taste a lot and I like the texture of slightly warm meat better than fridge-cold meat. I have gotten absent minded and overheated them, and they do get that "leftovers flavor" you mention.

I've vacuum sealed leftover ribs plenty of time, and frozen for later eating. It worked out well, and I was lazy and reheated in the microwave. I would smoke them fully, sauce, and freeze after wrapping tightly or vacuum sealing. Reheat wrapped in foil on the Q on low heat.

Comment

I do what the big name joints recommend that ship in dry ice for big bucks.
            Vacuum seal full or half slabs for freezer or fridge. Defrost, then heat in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Here's a heating guide from Jack Stack's in KC:

Comment

Thanks all, I think I have a good idea how to do this now.

Al

Comment

What is a Weber q? Kettle? Anyhow for me...

If you cook close to the service date no need to vac seal at all.

Like above. Cook. Slice cold. Add cold sauce and store.

if close to eat date package in whatever you’ll be cooking in. Foil etc...

I would cut them into individual Ribs. Toss with your desired sauce mix. Place in heating foil, dish, pan or whatever you will use and hold/freeze.

You are already eating leftovers. Really good leftovers too. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

They are fatty spares no need to vac seal. You are eating good ribs and likely need to just make convenient easy to eat hot food . If quality suffers a tad it’s no big deal. This isn’t a bbq comp. it’s a fun easy time. No fuss no muss. You’re already eating old food.

if you use foil or the like I’d add a layer of parchment. To protect from scorching. Perhaps hit it with a little more rub before sealing the cooking vessel.

Heck if it’s a kettle add a little char to the individual rib right before eating. If cutting to individual ribs this is a chance to get a bunch more flavor/season or toppings etc.. Flavor max that sucker or whatever.

This is all just me though IMHO.

If you decide to vac seal do it dead cold like Jerod said above.

Comment

Here is what the Weber Q grill is. nice unit for camping or resorts.

Discover the best of all worlds with a grill that fits on a small patio, with the power to execute an entire meal. Shop Weber's Q portable gas grills.

Thanks.

Al

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here