Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayo ribs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayo ribs...

On one of the rib recipe pages here it discussed using mayonnaise instead of mustard as a rub gripper for better fat/ moisture retention. I never heard of it/ used it before and gave it a whirl today. The ribs did come out moister. And I didn’t TC them either. 👍🏻 (My "signature ribs": sweet chili ginger ribs.
    Attached Files

Nice!

Comment

I did it once and liked the results!

Comment

Use Mayo on all my poultry and fish.

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          My go to oven cod recipe is equal parts mayo, grainy mustard and horseradish mixed together and then spread on the fish. Put each fish fillet in a individual gratin dish, dust with panko bread crumbs and bake for about 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. So Good!

I've done it too. I also will use mayo on fish, grilled cheese instead of butter, all kinds of stuff. Mayo is good stuff!

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Grilled cheese with Mayo on both sides of the bread, bacon added, and a few pickles....BPC, wonderful!

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          These people get it.

Instead of an egg wash, I use mayo on pork cutlets to bind breading (usually Panko) for frying.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Never thought of that. Does it still adhere well. I have always heard that the higher fat content of you wash the less it sticks when frying. Never tested it other than using just egg whites to get my 321Keto breading to stick to fried keto fish and

Best thing to use to get a great crust on steaks, especially after sous vide. Wipe a thin smear of mayo on both sides of the steak and then into either a screaming hot CI skillet, or onto a screaming hot grill. Absolutely beautiful crust and you can't really taste the mayo, but considering I could eat mayo right out of the jar if SWMBO would let me, tasting it wouldn't be horrible. :-)

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          hmm I love blue steak, but hard to get a foot crust on one and not take it to rare one MR, may try this soon, as in this weekend soon. I'll start dry brining a couple prime ribeyes tonight to get them to dry out some and do a side by side. Is the skillet dry when you add the steak, or do you have some fat in it? Do you add pepper and garlic, or does it just burn?

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter - I use a dry skillet. My CI is very well seasoned so nothing sticks. I usually season before dropping in the bath and have never had a problem with the seasoning burning. YMMV.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          not planning a SV cook, just a hard sear and xxxrare.

Nice

Comment

I rarely feel the need to use any kind of binder for ribs, but I have used mayo with good results. I definitely like mayo on chicken and turkey, and I need to try it on steaks now.

Comment

Use Mayo for making grilled cheese sandwiches on the outside of the bread instead of butter. They need to cook a bit longer before you flip them but that is all I use know making grilled cheese sandwiches.

Comment

I use it on kebabs alot. Sometimes a bit of fresh lemon juice added in and the last is very tender. Last kebabs I did I just used lemon juice and they weren't as nice as with the mayo

Comment

• DreamOn
                DreamOn commented
                Editing a comment
                My ginger ribs usually are sprinkled with lime juice first. I tried mixing the lime into the mayo. Worked really well.

I use Mayo on poultry and fish, mustard on pork, and hot sauce on beef, venison, lamb, and goat.

Comment

The same smoker batch I did another experiment that worked great too. This one was more of a "happy accident". My dry rub is supposed to have brown sugar in it. I was out of brown sugar so I just made it with white sugar. To get the "brown" flavor I brushed a little molasses directly onto the ribs before the rub. Since brown sugar is sugar with molasses I just deconstructed it 🤷‍♀️. Anyway they turned out awesome. I would do it again on purpose now 😁. I used those ones for dinner tonight on The Ultimate McRib sandwich from this site 😁

Comment

If you guys use it all then I don't have to be near it, I say go for it. But if you can buy Dukes, my wife wont bring anything else in the house so that's the only one i have to avoid.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E7457E51-1E96-449B-BDAB-AFC223A77404.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	802379
                    I smoked three racks of baby back ribs today on the Traeger (3-2-1) and I coated them with mayo before I applied the Memphis dust rub and they turned out very good. I also dry brined the ribs the night before I cooked them. I applied Meatheads KC bbq sauce which is my wife’s favourite. As I always say I got lucky again.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lucky? Or just appreciated?

• Argoboy
                      Argoboy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually my wife says these are the best ribs I have have cooked to date, I guess that is appreciation.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here