Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Accident

The local supermarket had bone in country ribs on sale. I've never smoked them before. i usually do other things with them. I had read on line that you take them to 180. I put them on in the morning, but come 3:30 it was time to leave for a Super Bowl part and they were only at 145-150. Oh well. I took them off and figured I would deal with them later. Turns out they were pretty dang tasty at 145-150. I think 180 might have dried them out too much.
    Last edited by sthomasaz; February 4, 2020, 09:01 AM.

It is possible, but country ribs are usually sliced up pork butt, so it probably could have taken the heat. I usually take them all the way up too 200 F. Basically, I treat them like a pork butt. However, that is what makes them great, you can be flexible. Good to hear they turned out well for you.

Comment

There are two sources - one is the Butt the other is the Loin. The ones I see in my area are more often the Loin. If they are more pink than red and lean they are probably Loin. If yours were Loin that is why they came out so well.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected. Thanks!

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        If I recall correctly, the shop I used to work for cut them out of pork sirloins.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Occasionally we get them cut from the Butt, which is what I prefer, and I would cook them just the way you described above.

You are both right

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here