Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs done early? Keeping warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs done early? Keeping warm?

Looks like my ribs are going to be done early today. How do you guys keep em warm until ready to eat?

It depends. You can Cambro them. Fill an ice chest with hot water, drain, close the lid. Put the ribs in foil. Wet a towel with very hot water and twist dry. Wrap the towel around the foil, put in the ice chest and pull before serving.

You can also put a bit of your BBQ sauce in the bottom of a crock pot mixed with a little beer. Cut the ribs and place in the crock pot. Go no higher than low.

You can wrap the ribs in foil and put them in an oven on a very low temp.

Comment

I wrap them in tightly in foil, then wrap the foil in old beach towels and place them in an insulated cooler. If you have it, place a digital themometer in the foil package and let the cable thread out under the gasket-ed lid, so you can keep an eye on the temp. If the temp inside the chest goes below 140*, take them out of the chest and put them into a warm oven to keep them warm until time to eat. I assume they will be cooked to 200* or maybe 205*. They should keep this way for at least a couple of hours if you need them to. Just don't leave them there and go below 140*.

Comment

Any of the above should take care of them. If it is very long hold you can wrap in aluminum foil and place in your oven at its lowest setting which is usually around 170 degrees.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          agree

Yes, fer awhile, then eat em! 🕶

Comment

Ended up just double wrapping them in foil and wrapping a towel around them. I don’t have an insulated cooler. They held ok for about 1.5 hrs. They were cooling down. I may have to look at a cooler or something in the future. Timing everything it the hardest thing for me as it never takes the same amount of time. The ribs turned out great though. Thx for all the responses! Any particular model of Cambro or another company you can suggest?
          Last edited by Mark-B; February 2, 2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I have the Cambro 300UPC-110. I love it! You will occasionally find it for under $200 at the web restaurant sites but watch out for shipping prices before check-out. They also go on sale via Amazon from time to time. It is very portable and holds temps for 6 hours. I used to use the ice chest which works well. However I cook for parties a lot and it has become invaluable. Now if I could just get people to pay for my cooking.....

Comment

I wrap them in foil, as put them in hotel pans set on heated bricks in one of my yetis. Fill the empty space wit BBQ towels. Just before service, I pull them, paint them thin with sauce (for the sauce fans like my wife, I prefer to go nekked) and hit the under the broiler until the sauce or rub is sizzling slughtly. Pull, cut and serve.

Comment

Depends on how long I need to hold’em. Always tightly wrap in foil. Then...few hours or less, a faux-Cambro or just leave’em wrapped on the counter if it’s a quick hold. Need to hold 4+ hours I’ll stick the wrapped ribs in a warm oven (my kitchen oven will hold at 170°F.

Comment

• Mark-B
                  Mark-B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, I like this idea, but a lot of times, my wife will need to put something in the oven for the sides. What's a faux Cambro as the real thing is too pricey for me?

• Santamarina
                  Santamarina commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mark, any cooler will do the trick. Instead of spending hundreds on a Cambo the igloo or Coleman in your garage will do the trick!

An old $35 Coleman will likely take care of your needs 95% of the time. Just keep it clean and ready. You can take your beer to the lake in it too as a bonus from time to time!

Comment

I will wrap them in foil and throw them in a warm oven. (185 F) It works just fine, you don't need to add anything to the foil, just wrap them up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here