Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing brined uncooked pork chops vs smoking, vacuum sealing and freezing cooked pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing brined uncooked pork chops vs smoking, vacuum sealing and freezing cooked pork chops

Had a cook planned for this afternoon and now guests are not coming. I have had 4 two inch thick high quality pork chops in a wet brine for approximately 18 hours. Question can I rinse the brine off, vacuum seal and freeze for later cooking? Or should I go ahead and smoke the chops, cool, vacuum seal and freeze for later thawing and warming prior to eating? Which is best and why??? I need experienced, knowledgeable opinions now!!!! Help please.

You could go either way depending on what you want to do with the meat in the future.

If I'm wanting to prep meat for quick meals, I'll cook the meat, divide into appropriate portions, bag and vac seal as flat as possible, and freeze. Thaw in the fridge or cool water for a fast, good meal in a very short time.

On the other hand, if I have some nice steaks or thick chops for a special meal where presentation, sizzle and aroma are important, then I'd prefer to freeze then cook. There is no way to re-create the smell and appearance of freshly cooked meat hot off the grill.

Brine or not before freezing makes no difference -- either way is okay.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn’t be said better. 🕶

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      What she said......

I'd Rinse, Freeze, Thaw, and Cook. They will be great.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1

I prefer to either freeze them with a little oil creating contact between the meat and bag. the oil helps create gives you more insulation from freezer burn.
    IF you cook them first, add a little gelatin and bag & seal as soon as they are cool enough to handle. If you then use the sous vide to reheat, it is as close to fresh as you can get from the freezer.

Comment

Yup. I would def rinse the seal and freeze. That way you can drop them right in sous vide from frozen and finish on the grill or thaw and cook as you would.

Comment

Thanks so much to all of you who have commented. I agree I have not ever had warmed up meat that was as good as when freshly cooked. While waiting for informed opinions I have been googling and it seems expert sites agree with all of you. I will rinse the chops really well in cold water to remove as much salt as possible, then pat dry, seal and freeze for later. Karon Adams I especially like your recommendation to oil them prior to freezing. I have never thought of that before but sounds like a great idea. Also, I will plan to note on the bags that these have been previously brined! Cheers to each of you and thanks again!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah notes are important, especially at our age. 🕶

If you have the time i would let them rest after rinsing in the fridge unconvered for a little bit to dry more before freezing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here