Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To anyone familiar with pork cuts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To anyone familiar with pork cuts...

I'm in Thailand for another 2 months. In the butcher section of one of the supermarkets that caters to expats, my wife buys something called pork collar. It just blows away any pork loin chop I've ever had in the U.S. It's juicy and tender and tastes great. I've looked for similar cuts in the U.S. but have never found any. Is this cut even available in America? It cost $7.50 a lb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0245.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	798672

Name:	DSC_0246.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	798673

Name:	DSC_0247.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	798674

I am surprised you say it is tender? It's available here and there. Check out the Snake River Farms kurobuta page. If I understand correctly this runs from behind the head to the edge of the loin, so it likely goes across the top of the shoulder. Some country style ribs might use the same meat. I'm not an expert on cuts, just a guy who looks at pretty diagrams on the internet.

Comment

JCGrill Oh, it's very tender, but, of course, that might have something to do with the person who cooked it. (cough, cough). That was also my thought, comparing it to country style ribs. Very similar texture and taste, but looks nothing like them the way it's cut. I'll take a look at Snake River Farms when I get home and see what they've got that compares.

Comment

It's from the pork shoulder and is very commonly used in franchise BBQ places for sliced pork. From the Institutional Meat Purchase Specification, USDA:

"Item No. 407 - Pork Shoulder, Butt, Collar Trimmed, Boneless - The butt is as described in Item No. 406A except the lean and fat immediately overlying the blade shall be removed.

"Item No. 407A – Pork Shoulder, Collar Butt – This item is as described within Item No. 407, except a ‘collar’ (consisting of skin and back fat above the most dorsal point of where the blade bone and over lying lean had been removed) extends from the anterior end to the loin end. The collar shall be no less than 1.0 inches (26 mm) and no more than 2.0 inches (5 cm) in width."

Comment

Bkhuna Thank you. In the U.S., I should be looking for pork shoulder steaks then.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I love pork blade steaks. I marinade them in mojo criollo and toss them on the grill. Great with yellow rice and black beans. I also will dice up the meat and use it in chili verde.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Lately we've been seeing something labeled "shoulder end pork loin roast". From what we can tell, it's part loin, part collar. Makes a nice roast because of the split of dark and light meat. But that split also makes cooking it right a little tricky (not unlike the issue with a porterhouse split between loin and tenderloin).

• Jared49
            Jared49 commented
            Editing a comment
            I smoke thick cut pork shoulder steaks all the time. Dry brine them overnight and then MMD @ 250ish. Nice and juicy!!

I was going to say it looked similar to a pork shoulder steak. They are great! I made a few last night for tacos al pastor. Hot and fast on the grill came out great!

they are readily available and I think I paid a little over $5 for a 1.5lb bone in steak. The bone was pretty small and easy to cut out prior to cooking.

Comment

I pan fry bone in blade steak and make a gravy out of the drippings, fantastic

Comment

I was watching a video a while back about comp pork butt cooking and they referred to the collar as the money muscle.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops, posted duplicate info below, I was typing when you posted.

Pork collar is the part of the pork shoulder (butt) sometimes referred to as the "money muscle". It is also the piece of the shoulder that is used to make coppa or capicola. Whenever I buy butts for sausage making, I cut the collar out for smoking or steaks. They generally weigh a little over 2 pounds. They're not widely available already separated, but, as stated above SRF has them. This outfit also sells them, but only if you buy 5.
              You don’t have to call the Pork Collar “the money muscle,” but it would help you fit in with the competition pit masters who love to use this intensely marbled cut that comes from the top of the shoulder via the natural seam between the blade and the under-blade. The fat cap is trimmed to the false lean, and the neck end is slightly squared. The versatile and succulent cut is excellent braised, cut into chops and grilled, or used for Italian “coppa.”

Much cheaper to just cut them out of a bone-in butt when its on sale.

Comment

Here is the lead to the SRF collar. https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/kuro...rk-collar.html To me the collar is the top of the butt running along to the loin.

Comment

This is too funny. I"ve been bemoaning the apparent unavailability of good brisket or pork butt and all this time I've been eating the "best part" of a pork butt. No wonder it tastes so good.

Comment

my butcher calls the pork steak, but other places call them collar or collar steaks. Probably the same thing. Can get the boneless or bone in.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a picture of where the pork collar is cut from the pork butt from Meathead's article on pulled pork.

This easy pulled pork recipe skips the slow cooker to create authentic low-and-slow smoked pulled pork on a smoker or grill. With smoke woven through the moist meat, bits of seasoned crust, and a gentle splash of BBQ sauce, pulled pork is perfect for your next backyard cookout.

Go about half way down the page to the paragraph on "How the Champions Do It"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here