Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keto-cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keto-cue

Click image for larger version  Name:	BFB957FD-52A7-4B0D-82DD-F9A68CBB96DF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	796810Click image for larger version  Name:	BBFB4A38-853D-4063-AF59-FF609AF56E6F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	796809Click image for larger version  Name:	36A34F8C-EB83-495F-B75D-A2DA56DA1318.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	796811

As I’m a fat ass, (I’m the one in the dress) I’ve decided to give keto a whirl.

Here’s some bbq I adapted to keto.

Pulled Pork sammies. I used BBBR without the sugar as my rub. Made the basic cole slaw recipe ...without the sugar. Buns I made with this recipe I found.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...r-buns-recipe/

They tasted pretty good. Consistency similar to biscuits. And last but not least I made a creamy sambal sauce. Easy, low effort and pretty tasty.
    Last edited by JCBBQ; January 27, 2020, 06:38 PM.

good luck. Keto intrigues me but I've heard that it can shoot up your cholesterol because too many people simply eat a ton of high fat food vs mixing it with fish, chicken, veggies and the like. 20-30g of carbs would be really hard for me too. But I think about it. Keep us posted.

Comment

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to do some work on the cholesterol thing. My DHL went way up (good), vldl does (good) triglycerides way down (better) and ldl went up some (over 100). But there isn’t any good science tying high ldl to early mortality for high hdl and low triglycerides...

• DreamOn
      DreamOn commented
      Editing a comment
      It depends on the Keto plan. Not all of them are the wack a doo eat a stick of butter. The class I took is veggie based followed by lean meats. It wasn’t so much "eat fat" as "don’t worry about whole versus skim milk". I was on it , lost weight. I fell off the wagon, gained weight and my cholesterol is back up at recent physical. I just told doc I would rather try getting back on the wagon first before going to cholesterol meds.

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      Edit: this is two years old why am I posting.
      Last edited by Joey877; November 9, 2021, 11:11 AM.

I try to stick to keto too, and let me tell you there is SO little sugar in beef rubs, compared to how much of it goes in your face, that you don't technically *need* to cut the sugar out. Heck, even when I do pork I leave the rubs intact because, still, how much of it actually goes into your face, maybe a tsp?...not much in the big picture. But, I get that some folks go hardcore and that's cool. I just wanted to give you a little encouragement to enjoy your BBQ w/o too much guilt. Think about a few bones of ribs on your plate. Think how much rub you'd sprinkle on just those bones, then how much of that rub is sugar. It's really minuscule!

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you're right. I did make some pork belly burnt ends for my son's swim team and had a few (just to make sure they weren't poisonous) and noticed my "keto stick" showed lower amounts of ketones but those are drenched in sauce.
      Edit
      Ew. The burnt ends not the stick...ugh, never mind.
      Last edited by JCBBQ; January 27, 2020, 08:09 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      JCBBQ Lol. Yeah sauce is a big no-no. I think there's 40mg carbs in a 2Tbsp serving. Yikes. Rub=ok, sauce,=no way Jose.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good point, glad you bring this up.

Great job keep them coming. Once weather starts to cooperate I will be doing the same.

Comment

Sometimes I’ll make my own low carb sauce and use stevia brown sugar as the sweetener. It actually turns out pretty darn good.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been wanting to try that with some Monk-Fruit based sweetener I have. Good to hear it came out good with Stevia. I've been thinking maybe a mustard based (South Carolina style) sauce might be easier to duplicate as a keto sauce. Alabama white might also be amenable to being adapted.

Looking good man! Keep the train rolling. I know you know where I stand on this as we have discussed it on the side. I am down 160 lbs and feeling great. I am in the best shape I have been in since collegiate athletics. Clean bill of health from the doc every Q. I like to keep things simple. Your fat is a limit, so you don't HAVE to eat all the fat outlined in your macros. Just don't exceed it. Eat enough to keep you full., Make sure to hit your protein macro and keep the carbs low as you can. Eat a variety of meats and tons of big, leafy greens. Keto also pairs well with fasting as well. Generally, I only eat one big meal a day. I am a little hungry after my morning or mid-day workout but, I slam some water and I am all good. I eat my big meal at night, then I vernally fast until the next night.

Make sure you are getting plenty of water and electrolytes as well. No-Salt, Himalayan Pink salt are good sources. I will add a dash to me water from time to time.

Great to see that you are back on the mat rolling as well, Jersey Bear! Love seeing that. BTW, how is your forehead and foot after that first session back?

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations on your weight loss!

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        Chicken broth is good quick "pick-u-up" if you're not getting the electrolytes. If you like to make your own, you are able to control the amount of salt.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Your fat is a limit, so you don't HAVE to eat all the fat outlined in your macros. Just don't exceed it. Eat enough to keep you full., Make sure to hit your protein macro and keep the carbs low as you can. Eat a variety of meats and tons of big, leafy greens.
      That about sums it up. I only used low carb as a tool to lose the weight, now a balanced diet sustains it. It also helps that whiskey has zero carbs.

Sorry to continue the hijacking of your post JCBBQ. Food looks great and keep it up. You can do it!

Comment

Nice cook and good luck on your weight loss journey. Remember, take it one day at a time. You may have a day or a meal where you slip aa bit. Don’t give up. You have to be like the cornerback that gives up a big play. Forget about it and move on to the next play. One bad meal or day doesn’t ruin a diet. Multiple bad days does. Soon you’ll establish new good habits,

Good luck.

Comment

Spinaker F-ing A!! You are my hero. I thought it was 80lbs you lost. 160?????🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Click image for larger version

Name:	7EAA5F39-118F-4CA8-A25F-F6F34C4E100A.jpeg
Views:	727
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	796938

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Over two years, it is not bad. You just have to keep it going man. Trust the process.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker , that’s the differnce in sorta doin it & doin it. Good work man!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You know it! Thank, FireMan !

Spinaker Forehead was a two day deal. Feet getting there 🤪

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to hear they are on the mend!

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            OK now this has my interest peaked. Please share if you feel so inclined

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Andrrr if you're on Instagram check out my last post. I'm bbqandbjj

Andrrr Hijack away! I love hearing how many guys are doing this. All info is good imho.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly I’m incredibly surprised, even dumbfounded on how many have chimed in especially given the nature of why we’re here in the first place. Thanks for bringing it to the forefront.

Keto/fasting has become a fad, which I think is frustrating because headlines and short articles don't do it justice and can lead people to give up or do it incorrectly. How _your_ body deals with food and makes cholesterol is unique and largely genetic, but the diet does work for many people, and dietary cholesterol intake seems to not be a factor for those folks. Here's what anyone should do considering this (or any other diet/lifestyle change):

1. Read Fung (or the signature book for what you are considering) to learn about it and his clinical experience with it:

2. Get bloodwork/physical done before you start
          3. Follow it consistently and correctly for 6 months
          4. Get your bloodwork/physical again and compare

If it works, great, if not, you'll know, and 6 months isn't that long to find out.

For me, a year doing this netted reduced weight, blood pressure and cholesterol all by 20%.

Now to get this thread back on track, here are a couple of sauces that if you are low carb and you have a stick blender, you need to try as they help really amp up a lot of foods:

1. Chipotle Mayo (or just make your own flavored mayo by adding something else instead):
          Made this up since I’ve been making mayo for a while now. Finally got around to writing it up. Ingredients Immersion (stick) blender. High-sided blending,

2. Hollandaise (easy with a stick blender)

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the chipotle (or sriracha, or tabasco, or Frank's) mayo.

Another thing to watch out for is many online "Keto" recipes use fructose based sweeteners like agave, because they rank low in glycemix index, but they cause the body to react the same way as sugar, maybe worse.

Also, artificial sweeteners may be ok, but they tend to make it hard to stick to the diet because they propagate cravings in my experience.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree Spinaker. In the end the carb program really just re-taught me how bad anything In a package is and how good whole food is. Once you really understand that you know how to moderate everything.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think different things work for different people. We've been doing keto for 3 months (down about 30 pounds). I've made some decent keto crust pizzas, and while they don't taste like the real thing, I found them satisfying. Same for artificial sweeteners, may encourage cravings in some while others find them a satisfying substitute. If you do choose to use them, it is important to get smart about them, as they are not all created equal and some are barely better than pure sugar (ie, Malitol)

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            However, I agree, as Spinaker says, avoiding processed foods is the holy grail of health eating: "I try not to eat anything from a package, other than cheese. I try to go all veggies and fresh meats."

These buns look and sound pretty good. I can only do so much butter lettuce and the like. I basically just went to eating the patty or what ever it is on the plate. I do miss a big old bun, but I don't miss how they made me feel.

I love slaw too, that stuff is perfect with a pulled pork sandwich and really easy to make low carb. And that creamy sambal sauce sounds like great topper.

Comment

Spinaker Yeah I generally like eating lettuce wrapped burgers but this was a nice treat. Ridiculously filling though. I’ve been eating a good amount of cauliflower purée as a mashed potato substitute. Also really good. Got it from Chefsteps. Their sous vide salmon w/o the sugar rub is excellent too.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have to check that out. I have the premium membership so I should be able to find it. Thanks!

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Murdy that sounds good. Thanks

• DreamOn
              DreamOn commented
              Editing a comment
              Similarly: I’m the one pushing the low carb... but hubby has decided that the burger salad vs a bun is pretty darn good 😁

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here