Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keto-cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any diet, even doctor prescribed, should be followed up with blood work and general fitness evaluations. My cholesterol is high, genetically, but I have never had any health issues related to it. Blood pressure is fine when I'm not fat, and triglycerides are lower, when I am low carb. Those required amounts of veggies are there for good reason and using fresh is much better than canned.

The problem with all the differing opinions on sugar, fat, vegan, etc... The players of the medical/pharma game can be just as political as government politicians, and just as greedy. I have always been of a 'scientific' mindset, but science is only another tool that should assist in making good decisions. Science is not infallible.

Hang in there JCBBQ you will be in the zone to eat berries/nuts soon and that opens up a whole new world. As Spinaker mentions, exercise is so important, even if it is only a slow walk early on.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Science is NOT ABOUT infallibility. It's about trying to explain things, putting forth a hypothesis, testing and refining in the face of evidence. But politics notwithstanding, I'll take science over some crappy sites on the internet putting forth conspiracy theories about Big Pharma and, gee, just coincidentally selling their own supplements or books for free (for 30 days with a low low monthly price after that) courses.
      Last edited by rickgregory; January 28, 2020, 09:00 PM.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't mention any thing about websites or books. Big Pharma, as you called it, advertises to sell their drugs on television, radio, magazines, websites... to make money. I did not say throw away all scientific findings because some are wrong. I believe an individual should use good research of all scientific studies they can stand to read, before making an informed decision which is not based on their own bias.

Chaffle buns —-try the everything bagel seasoning recipe.. steaks of course... I smoke the fat on the brisket that I cut off and include it in chopped brisket, pulled pork and almost anything... scrambled eggs

ketogenicforums.com is the a maxi ribs of the keto world ...not nearly worth paying for like ar but the best there is

Comment

Man this must be a sign!! I have been thinking about trying the whole keto thing but haven't really done a lot of research etc. Was thinking of buying a book but as usual this site pops up with a ton of answers to questions I have. Also good to know there is a lot of people doing this with success and still being able to eat BBQ! I have been overweight (#teamfatass) for a while now and can lose it by restricting my intake and working out but I can never seem to maintain. Maybe this will be the lifestyle change I can actually stick to.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        what subreddits?

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory -- I follow r/keto and r/ketorecipes . Also, r/carnivore sometimes has some relevant content.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Reddit is where it is at for Keto info!

This is turning into a nice little thread guys! Thanks for all the info and ideas. Let's keep it going. Someone was worried about hijacking this thread. Hell with that! I don't care about my little cook. I wanted to talk about Keto, so keep your posts coming!

Comment

Ok so give me an example. Tonight I laid out some boneless skinless chicken breasts. What to go with it?? Planned on cutting into chunks and cooking on the griddle. I am pretty amped about this since the wife is gluten free and I am always struggling with something to cook that my wife can eat and my picky daughter will eat. They have both agreed to give keto a try so try we will!!!

Comment

Originally posted by castironchris View Post
          Ok so give me an example. Tonight I laid out some boneless skinless chicken breasts. What to go with it?? Planned on cutting into chunks and cooking on the griddle. I am pretty amped about this since the wife is gluten free and I am always struggling with something to cook that my wife can eat and my picky daughter will eat. They have both agreed to give keto a try so try we will!!!
          Crush up some pork rinds into breading. (They are super cheap) Add paprika, Granulated garlic, Granulated onion, salt and pepper into the breading. Then Dredge the chicken in egg wash, then bread the chicken with the breading mixture. Bake it at 400 F on an elevated rack. When the chicken reaches 165 F internal she is all done.I use convection to make sure the breading get really crispy. It is awesome. I made it last night. Can't be beat.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I like a mixture of flax meal, almond flour, and Parmesan cheese myself. I use an egg white wash to get it to stick. Works well on fish as its kinda cornmeal like. Can be baked or fried.

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Using pork rinds as breading had never occured to me. That is going into the rotation. Thank you!

Originally posted by castironchris View Post
          A few other ideas for those:

1) slice in half longitudinally (butterfly them, so they're half as think). Pound out, dredge in salt/pepper/flour, sauté for 3-4 mines/side until just done, remove to a warm plate and deglaze the pan with things you like as a sauce. Ideas - shallots/garlic, lemon juice and capers finish with a little butter. Or chicken stock and wine plus herbs. Or something Asian - chutney, oyster sauce, whatever.

2) Cube and simmer in a red, green or Panang curry sauce from the store. Add veggies with a few minutes to go.

3) Do the above slice and pound out, but then take the pounded out chicken, put down some bacon or pancetta, the the chicken. Spread something nice all over the chicken, roll up and tie or use a toothpick. Bake. What to spread? Diced ham, cheese, herbs is a fave. Add garlic, minced if you like that.

for the curry and some other things, use thighs which are a little harder to overcook (boneless breast can be very dry if overcooked.

Comment

Spinaker Yo!!! That pork rind "bread" crumbs is inspired!! That’s gonna open up a whole lot of things on the menu. 👍👍👍

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Any idea how'd they work in an air fryer? I'm assuming okay since there's no oil to soak up.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              It would work great. I cook them in my convection oven, which is basically what you have in that air fryer. Murdy

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried the pork rinds on dark-meat chicken last night in an air-fryer. I can indeed confirm that it works great.

I did a ton of sheet pan meals where you cut up a sausage and roasted it on a pan with veggies. My fave mix was andouille, brussel sprouts, bell peppers of any color and red onion, all coated in oil and a sprinkle of salt. Serve over cauliflower rice. I even roasted cauliflower in the mix and it was still good. Amazing how switching up the veggies made it seem like a different meal. Grilling with a touch of smoke adds an entirely different dimension.

Comment

Dang!! I got all kinds of good ideas now! I wish I had checked the site before going home yesterday. I actually pounded them out and marinated in mayo and garlic sat and then cooked them on the blackstone topped with swiss cheese. Made some steamed broccoli but the real kicker was the buns I made for chicken sandwiches! Straight from the guy who started this thread and let me tell you they were delicious!! Maybe a touch salty but otherwise very good! Real easy to make and the wife thought they were great!! She didn't realize they were for sandwiches because I only split the one I was eating so she was eating like a biscuit until I told her!! I know it didn't happen because I didn't take pictures but trust me it did and it will again because it was so easy. Had the whole meal done in under 45 minutes (except for marinading)

Comment

Spinaker fyi I made chicken cutlets w pork rind "bread crumbs". Dude!!! They are way better than breaded ones. Really, really delicious.

Comment

If you're looking for a few recipe ideas...
                  I breathe, I'm Hungry is a site for fairly bulletproof keto recipes.

But, a pro-tip from a long time of low carb dieting... It's best to eat real food that is naturally low carb and learn the new lifestyle.

Comment

• Murdy
                    Murdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Some of the substitutes are just a different way of eating a low-carb food. Like mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Before I was doing keto, I used to make mashed rutabaga anyway. Now, cauliflower is a nice substitute for mashed potatoes, and I don't really consider it a fake food. I've also mixed crumbled cauliflower (aka cauliflower "rice") into stir fries with good results.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @Murdy: Yeah, I don't think of Cauliflower as fake food... I think of a lot of low carb flours, and breads as more fake...

Part of the issue is, with long term maintenance in mind, learning to do the plan with substitutes doesn't really change your habits of having sandwiches or starchy sides with things. So, eating out becomes more problematic... other people are wired differently, so it's not a problem.

• Porkies
                    Porkies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with Potkettleblack , in terms of the end game in low-carb eating. Beyond not changing your habits, you would be filling your appetite with items which are mostly not as nutrient dense as you could be eating. I'm not knocking folks for eating the way they want to eat, but instead of almond flour bread one could be munching on more nutrients via veggies and berries/fruits.

Potkettleblack thanks! I’ll check it out.

Comment

Found these crepe thingys at Costco. They make a damn fine taco....I mean when you chop up leftover beef rib meat, add some pickled onions and a little Carolina Reaper Crema.

Click image for larger version

Name:	65A23590-AB89-4C97-BC5F-E9C222058F5D.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	801412Click image for larger version

Name:	3D181F3F-BB03-4293-8799-57219C0E20A8.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	801408Click image for larger version

Name:	37172E51-E774-49C5-9AED-389F2779E869.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	801411
                    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats to all those having success with this. I started reading up on Keto about a month ago. Although I am not following any keto recipes I have begun the concept at least of a low carb diet. Had to give up the beer, dammit. When nothing else was working, this is. In just a few weeks I have lost about 12 pounds. 20 to 25 more pounds and I'll be a happy cooker. My wife just returned from Louisiana and she's astonished at how much different I look from just the 2 weeks we didn't see each other. I've already forgotten what you cooked but it sure looked good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here