Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keto-cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think low carb is very doable. I think keto is not, for most people. I mean.. NEVER another beer? Burger with a bun? Never a slice of pie or.... well you get the idea.

I know there are a lot of people who do keto for a month, then a time off, then back on... but personally I want something a little more sustainable where I'm not saying to friends "yeah, can't out for pizza, doing keto."

Obviously, this is me. Others might find it much easier to move to full time keto.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      My doctor initially told me to keep it under 50 grams of carbs per day, but then said under 80 to 100 would be beneficial. I keep it around 50 (but I don't meticulously plan my meals so I'm sure this varies a bit). I'm probably not in ketosis most of the time (though when I started I did experience keto flu, so maybe), but as I understand it, ketosis or not, there are still beneficial effects on insulin levels and I have lost over 35 pounds in about 4 months.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      btw, Busch Lite has 3.2 carbs per can, if you can stand it. I prefer it to the beers marketed as low carb/calorie, like Michelob Ultra and such, which are 2.5 grams.
      And bourbon has zero.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the Busch Lite (I can't believe I am saying that). I prefer it over Michelob Ultra, the Corona variety, Bud Lite. I do prefer Coors Lite over Busch Lite (again can't believe I am saying this).

How well does sourdough bread fit with this? I came across something saying it was ok. No information on the packaging from the bakery. I also read about 13g for a medium slice, whatever that means.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sourdough is complicated. Most commercial sourdoughs will be made with 100% white flour, but the thought is that the levain eats or blunts some of the carbs. Homemade sourdough with some spelt or something is still gonna be carby, but maybe within a limit.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably would avoid that and spend my carb budget elsewhere. There are some commercial breads that come in around 6 grams per slice (they taste and feel like cheap bread though).

The buns are good but I have given them up for chaffles. My fav are everything bagel chaffles. 1 egg, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 2 T everything bagel seasoning, 1.5 T almond flour, 1/2 t baking soda... all cooked in a waffle iron till steam diminishes (well past when the light clicks). Make great sandwich buns or eat them straight away with sour cream.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be breaking out the waffle iron asap!

Having been on keto for 11 months, down 60 pounds, all blood numbers fixed, cut out statins, halved my other medicine.... I can say once you are really there then minor excursions don't throw you off track.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      The "excursions" are what I am most curious about. If I keep things tight and stay in ketosis for a few days will a trip to 5 Guys with a burger and fries kill everything? Can I eat a couple tortillas once a week and still be ok? I think if I knew I had an indulgence or two coming down the road it would make it easier to stay on track.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I think part of the answer to that question is how easily do you move into ketosis? I felt pretty bad for maybe 36 hours, some describe the keto flu as lasting longer than that, my wife barely noticed it. If you get knocked out of ketosis, in terms of weight loss, you simply lose a little time, and, if this is a long term project, not a bid deal. But if you have to spend a day feeling bad transitioning back in, it may not be worth it.

I have not had that much trouble staying on track.

When the carb cravings get too bad I turn to mushrooms once in a while. I like to take button mushrooms, remove the stem, then coat them in melted butter. Next I drain a can of crab meat, and put it in a small sauce pan.Then simmer it with just enough heavy cream to make it very moist. Add about a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning and simmer for a couple more minutes. Fill the cavities in the mushrooms with the crab meat, place them on a baking sheet, and cover with shredded cheese. I like cheddar, others are good too. Bake them at 350 for 20 minutes. You will not have to worry about what to do with the leftovers, there won't be any.
    They make a great appetizer to keep folks happy while you're grilling the steaks also.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; February 11, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Congrats Willard . I started almost a couple weeks ago. Still eating too many veggies I am sure but just meat and veggies. I did try a couple of keto bread recipes and plan on another tonight but really trying to make sure my carbs are coming from veggies and nothing else. So far 14lbs. since Jan. 30th!!

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations to you!

I’m thoroughly impressed with all the weight everyone has lost. Here’s to keeping it off 🥃

Comment

For those in search of low carb beers that actually taste good, take a look at this post and the great answers that follow:

So, I thought I would start a thread at which members could call out their favorite micro-breweries or craft beer stops in their respective cities. When I visit other cities, I like

I drink pretty much from these low carb/low beers now, especially if I'm planning on enjoying more than one bottle. I like the Scrimshaw Pilsner, Laguinitas Daytime IPA and the Dogfish Slightly Mighty (thanks to Craigar ) mentioned there, among others, a lot. All have around 3.5 gms carbs or so.

For no alcohol beer, I've switched to the Partake beer that pkadare mentioned. I'd rank them in flavor as Stout the best, then the IPA and Pale Ale and finally the Blonde. They've come out with a Red Ale in Canada, yet to be released in the US. I order them by the case, free shipping. I usually drink a no-alcohol beer with dinner if we've had a cocktail earlier or for a second (or third) helping of beer when I'm cooking outdoors.

MBMorgan turned me on to this really good article, "The 20 Best Low-Carb Craft Beers for Keto Diets"

I don't do a keto diet because I don't need to lose weight, but I do try to eat healthy carbs as part of my lifestyle. Hence the question about good craft low-carb beers. That topic helped me find some tasty ones.

Kathryn

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          ... rather than strict keto these days, I simply choose to eat healthy. I still restrict carbs from foods that also have a high glycemic index and also those that are highly processed. I'd say I tilt more to the Mediterranean style diet these days but really, I don't like to say diet. This to me, is really a lifestyle change, which again, for me, is easier to stick to than a "diet".

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          Good info, Kathryn. Thanks. I have been in an absolute refusal mindset of drinking low carb beer. This just might nudge me to try one of those when I’m ready for beer again. Btw, I thought everyone had to lose weight. Kudos to you!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, Willard I guess everyone would like to lose a couple of pounds at the very least, but every now and again I get into a sweet spot with my weight and enjoy being there--all my clothes fit nicely and I don't have to suck my stomach in every time I pass a mirror. As with all things weight-related, it takes constant attention to maintain a healthy weight, which is why I exercise, watch carbs, and try to make smart(er) choices. Then there are the days when I eat too much delicious BBQ...
          Last edited by fzxdoc; February 13, 2020, 07:48 AM.

I honestly always believed keto should progress into low carb. According to atkins, you should definitely start at about 20-30 NET carbs a day (NET being important as a lot of veggies have fiber which is not to be included in your daily carb count) for about 2 weeks. Afterwards, you can increase the carbs slowly (weekly, biweekly increase) until you fall out of ketosis. At that point, you know your carb limit based on your life style and body. Ideally, the increase will coincide with you reaching your ultimate weight goal.

The lower amounts of carbs you eat (but you definitely need to eat 20 or 30 anyway) the faster the weight loss because the body is using more fat storage for energy. The end game for low carb is to hit that balance between keto and 'not-keto'. Eating sugar/flour/starch and such will be more likely to kick you from ketosis the closer you are to your carb limit. Your ability to hold keto can also influenced by the amount of anaerobic exercise you do.

I usually don't drink while in low carb, simply because drinking makes me hungry for pizza.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Drinking makes me hungry for chocolate, weirdly.

K.

Welp my report is after 2 weeks on a low carb diet I have actually lost 4 pounds 👍🏻. I won’t say it’s perfect... I had a beer out with friends one night, chicken WITH the waffles one night since hubby requested it/ I didn’t ditch my waffle 😁. But most days I was pretty good about it.

Comment

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like you did a pretty good job though. It's really tough to make those kind of changes in your diet, especially when it's a new thing.

I'm following a low-carb diet to help with diabetes control, so not necessarily weight loss. The only way I could make the changes was to just dive in hard core, and work keep it that way until it became a habit. Now it's easier, but still not easy. I stull have my days where it goes off the rails, but it becomes easier to get back on track.

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          I really, REALLY miss having easy access to good bread though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E67E753-30FB-4DC0-B10C-06401DC68C91.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	808057 O

Comment

FYI I'm down 22lbs in just under 2 months. It's a pretty easy "diet" in that I'm not killing myself to not eat. In fact many days I easily just have one meal without being hungry.

Comment

• Porkies
            Porkies commented
            Editing a comment
            I find the same happens with me and is why I consider low-carb a healthy diet. I end up eating far more nutrient dense veggies, and berries, and nuts, than I do on a high-carb diet. Overall, I end up eating LESS MEAT (and better cuts of meat) because I am eating less overall. I would eat 4 to 5 small meals/snacks through the day, especially once I began working out.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell yeah! Love to hear this. Keep that train rolling brother! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

• Willard
            Willard commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations. I’ve been on the low carb train now for a month and a half and have lost about 13 lbs. It’s hard to pinpoint with the daily fluctuations.

Finally got around to making the hamburger bun recipe at the start of this thread, came out great, more like a biscuit. I highly recommend.

Comment

Heres a pic ​

Comment

Murdy Those buns are good but try the chaffles --- so much easier and work for me... an egg and ½ cup Mozzarella and a waffle maker... just cook till the steam dies down and leave them on a rack for a bit. Not as good as these buns but I got used to it fast.

I am just over a year in to this keto/low carb thing and down 60 pounds to my 17 year old weight.

Comment

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                We do make chaffles a bit, but so far only as breakfast food, haven't really branched out into some of the savory recipes, but I'll get around to it one day.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here