Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pork backbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pork backbone

Hey all, what is the best way to cook pork backbone on a smoker? I have not cooked this cut before but picked it up from my local farm and wanted to try it.

Do you mean bone-in loin? If so, they're two spearate pieces with separate cooking styles for best resutls. The loin being so lean should be low & slowed up to about only 140-145. The ribs need the the noral rib treatment. It could be fashioned into a standing rib roast though.

Comment

Here is the description from the farm: "Backbone is perhaps one of the most misunderstood meats that Polyface carries. The bone in it is shaped much like a t-bone steak and the meat is tenderloin. It should be prepared exactly as you would prepare spare ribs. We at Polyface like it even better than spare ribs. Try it and see if you feel the same"

So I am sort of confused as to prep and cook it like I would St. louis style ribs or treat it more like a tenderloin

Comment

Here is a shot of the cut

Comment

Never done one like that. I guess if they say treat it like ribs, and it seems to you to be thin enough to cook up like ribs, then go for it. It looks fatty enough to.

Comment

I would need a closer look at the bones to be sure, but my first impression is they look like someone's rendition of what is normally called "country style ribs". If it's a thick enough cut, I would do it like a pork butt rather than like "real" ribs.

Comment

So i went with cooking it like st. louis style ribs and did a 3-2-1 on it. Turned out pretty awesome actually, it ate like ribs but with lots of meat on the bone. I have another one in the freezer, this time I may experiment with some other method.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                AWESOME!!!! Did you add liquid when you crutched? And if so, beef broth, or what?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here