Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Previously frozen butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previously frozen butts

I was planning to do a large cook tomorrow (Monday) and thawed three butts for it. The butts were frozen right after they were purchased.

I might be coming down with a cold so I do not want to be handing food while sick. Would the three frozen butts be ok to let sit in the fridge until next weekend or should I go ahead a re-freeze them if I do not do cook them tomorrow?

Thanks in Advance

clb239

If they are cryo-vacced then I’d say yes.

Comment

They should be fine. They will rake at least a couple of days to defrost. Then two or three days late lr open the packs and dry brine for a day or two.

No big deal unless they were at the cook or throw always stage when you froze them but it doesn’t sound like it.

Comment

If cryovacced they will hold fine. If not the USDA says that you can refreeze meat if only unfrozen for a short period above 32.

Comment

A couple of points... first, people cook when sick all the time and it's fine (I'm talking about colds here). You're going to cook the meat to a point where bacteria are dead anyway, right? You can just use gloves to apply rub etc if you want but I'm not sure I get this point.

That said, I think the issue is when you got them down. Today? Yeah, you're fine. They won't thaw until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway. You got them down last Thursday? I'd cook them as it would be the lower risk move.

Comment

Sick shmick! Just cook’em! Personally, if I was sick the reason I’d cancel a cook would be for lack of energy, not spreading my disease.

Comment

What they said...hope you feel better!

Comment

The cold held off so the butts are on the cooker...

Comment

I’ve been sick for almost two weeks and the last thing I want is pulled pork. The first week I ate nothing but pho, ramen and wonton soup. Ok menudo too.

just now have 75% of my palate back and throat mostly "not sore." Still don’t want pulled pork.

you are a beast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here