Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is best to apply rub to Baby Backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is best to apply rub to Baby Backs?

Smoking Baby Back Ribs: Is it best to apply your rub (love using your Memphis Dust) the night before and keep in fridge which is what I have been doing or should it be a couple hrs before you start cooking....or does it matter?

I have been known to put it on with the salt the night before or just put it in immediately before smoking... if I do it the night before I hit it with a light dusting again right before putting it on the smoker.

should be fine either way.

btw... welcome from Indiana.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      dito

I just do it about an hour before I cook. Rub will not penetrate the meat. So I don't see any benefit towards an overnight process.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +2. Turns to liquid and makes a mess. I dry brine a few hours before then hit it wuth rub before slapping it on the pit.

That's what I thought...thanks

Comment

Before they grow up. It is best when they are baby’s.

Comment

"Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be back ribs" "Don't let 'em get dry brined and rubbed on and such"

Comment

I appy rub right before cooking them. But I only use rub on ribs if they are not going to be sauced. Why use rub if you are going to slather in sauce? I use rub when I want my ribs dry and then I can really taste the rub.

Comment

Oh, and thanks for your post. Now I am Jonesin' for some ribs.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              No joke. Figuring how I can "Rendezvous Them" on the gasser later tonight while I grill bugers.

I apply the rub first thing the day to be cooked. My go to rub has salt so no need to brine day before. Put back in fridge until ready to cook.

Comment

I find that I get better bark when I apply the nigh before with the dry brine and apply another quick coat and Nate suggested. For that reason I apply the rub before I light the coals.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here. My rub has equal parts brown sugar and chili powder (in addition to the other ingredients), so it doesn't turn into as much of a mess as some others might. I just get a better end result when I apply it the night before and then a light dusting the day of.

I used to rub at least one day before and sometimes up to three with rubs that have a bit more salt. I switched to the dry brine in advance and adding a (mostly) saltless rub on the day of the cook. I am going back to my old method. I agree with Ahumadora that it does make things pretty messy. I can't even articulate what it is that is better. I do start with bone side down as that mess sets on the top of the ribs.

Comment

Rub hits the ribs on their way from the fridge to the pit!

Comment

if saltless rub, and I have dry brine, I apply binder and rub just before it goes on pit. If the rub has salt in it, it goes on 24 hours in advance to let the saltin the rub dry brine the meat.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                    Ground Chuck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was wondering about this, since I've got quite a few store-bought rubs to use. Didn't know if hitting the ribs right before they go on the pit was enough time for any dry-brine to take effect.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here