Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Fried Ribs, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good so far. Here’s my take:

SBD.... standard breading station

flour (a type) Ap, bread and the like.

egg wash

panko

everything is always. ALWAYS seasoned except the panko.

Take your desired SIFTED flour and add season (season is always salt and pepper) or your rub. I would recommend grinding your seasoning if it’s coursley ground. Not to a powder but not very large. You need something for the egg wash to hang on to. Now you have a flavorful flour.

For the COLD egg wash. I quart whole milk to 8 xl eggs. Beat the crud out of it with your seasoning mix. You want to keep this constantly mixed during the process. Course seasoning is ok here.

followed by panko for the coating.

For your purpose here season the crud out of everything and then back off if too much.

im assuming your ribs are cooked, seasoned and Unsauced. The ribs should already have flavor so focus on the flour and egg wash for additional seasoning.

I would rest the ribs in the walk in for at least an hour before frying. Once it’s bread put it on a rack and do not touch it again. Do not over handle them.

I would cook in lard or a similar product.

I also would take them off the bone carefully. Even if you have to steam the or something to remove the bone.

The coatings above look a little uneven and/or perhaps something was wet.

once you get the process down you can play with the flavors and flours. For now use regular AP flour or whatever you have on hand.

I would REMOVE THE BONE so you can play with an elevated style rib and coating eg... smooth coat, rough coats, vinegars etc.. Although this is BBQ.

also try some vinegar powder in the flour to help cut the rich and elevate the smoke and "BBQ." Also a squeeze of lemon in the milk before the dredge can be nice.

There are a million things you can do with frying.

frying is a technique first requiring some basics followed by an art and flavor bomb of crunch.

Im sad I can’t be of more help. Is your rub for sale?? I would like to buy some to understand your flavors profile. Is it salty, a lot of sugar etc..

I noticed the tabletop fryer. If you are going to cook in a restaurant fryer I would coat some extra and duplicate in the fryer you will be using for service. Every piece of equipment cooks differently, even identical models. The cold hold should help.

this stuff excites me. I been sick for a week and this is the best I have felt now.

so many places to go with this stuff.

I hope this helps.
    Erik
    Last edited by HouseHomey; January 16, 2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why you the fry master! I love this!

Image result for fry guys"

Remember fry guys? I think that's Hommey in the middle there

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice one!!

We are 2 weeks into #FriedRibFriday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3363.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	797247

They are yummy!!!

Name:	IMG_3238.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	797249

The 3 sauces here are
    1.) Crawfish Sauce (ketchup and mayo) with a Siracha and Sweet Soy
    2.) A Raspberry and BBQ Sauce
    3.) A Blackberry with, well, I don't quite remember. It's 1 am and that was 2 weeks ago...

These were our test sauces. For service the past 2 weeks, we've used some other sauces
    Blackberry Dijion
    Raspberry Chilpolte
    Our Red BBQ Sauce.
    All good!

Name:	IMG_3239 (1).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	797248

Drag, Drench, and then Sprinkle with Rub. So good!!!!

Name:	IMG_3235.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	797250

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I so need to get down there.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      How are the sales and what is the feedback? Like I said before, sounded terrible when I first read it, looked delicious when I saw it and you described it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I am curious to hear how it went was well.

I think I need to try this again.......this time with crushed pork rinds. Next level.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds killer!

tbob4 and Spinaker Sales are going ok and we are getting GREAT feedback on them.

Sold 30 orders last Friday and 50 yesterday for #FriendRibFriday. Intro level pricing is $5 for two ribs, with sauces.

The only negative feeback I have heard is from guests who don't love sweet. I didn't have the savory sauce, which I think would have helped them enjoy the fried ribs more. (Savory sauce is Ketchup, Mayo, Siracha and sweet soy sauce).

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your posts and the feedback. Thanks, as always! You are doing a great job.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, well I bet as word gets out they will move even more! It is a great BBQ treat. I love an Asian/Hoisin sauce with mine.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here