Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually don’t use wood at all. I just use Kingsford Competition 100% natural briquettes. No acrid smoke.

Comment

I think much of it has been addressed...but...I gotta add: I am NOT a fan of hickory!
      At all!
      I gave away every last bit of hickory I purchased.
      Give me a minute and I’ll tell you how I really feel. LOL

I think it CAN be great, even outstanding, in a large offset..but in smaller cookers, I have yet to have it turn out the way I prefer. And I’m CERTAIN it’s an airflow thing.

I use oak, alder & pecan for most things beef these days.
      Unless I WANT mesquite flavours...’cause I have some friends that are all over that. LOL But even then, it’s more likely cooked over a mesquite fire rather than smoked. Much like I use red oak for tri tip.
      For pork, it’s usually a fruit wood. Cherry & apple I can get cheap, and quickly, so those usually win...then it’s just a matter of my mood that day.

With that, I agree that perhaps trying a cook with NO wood isn’t a bad place to start. That eliminates one variable.
      If THAT doesn’t measure up...perhaps try a different charcoal. But even some competition "kings" regularly use the lowly KBB.
      I use it, simply because it’s the only thing readily available on any given day. Other products produce less ash, but I dare you to find them sometimes, especially around here.

I don’t think lighting is the problem...many (most?) of us use some sort of variation on the minion/snake method in our charcoal cookers...so clearly, not every briquette is lit going in. Perhaps as few as 8-12...so THAT probably isn’t the issue.
      So yeah, run it without wood and see what you think...then fine tune it.

Comment

I bet it's a combination both of going from electric and pellets (VERY mild) to charcoal/wood (rich smoke flavor) plus methinks you're using too big of chunks of wood. My suggestion, if you don't want to try charcoal only, try one small chunk 1/3 or 1/4 the size of your fist. Put it on the lit side of the coals in the SnS, and call it good. Wood smoke is a seasoning like salt and of course too much is bad.

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to circle back to update the thread and also say thanks for all the help.

I’ve done multiple runs since then and it was DEFINITELY too much wood. I did a few runs with no wood at all and with no charcoal taste at all. Have then played around with the amount of wood and my last batch of the ribs were some of the best I’ve ever had. Thanks again for the help guys. This place is awesome.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear you resolved your issue and are happy with the results off your Weber Kettle now!

• Parkin
            Parkin commented
            Editing a comment
            Disregard my previous comment. You already got it!👍

Violation! You are reporting on a delicious rib cook with no rib pics!

Gonna have to report you Chaser_32
          to the mods!!

Glad you've got it sorted out.

How much wood are you using now?

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Pics or it didn't happen!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Proof is in the puddin

Now that you are narrowing down this profile may I suggest that you make note of your variables.

Also try cooking some cheap chicken legs n thighs with just salt n pepper or plainly seasoned. Try that with KBB and other regularly available coals in your area.

Find out which coal you like that’s always available. This will give you an index. From here you can skip the "Charcoal issue" for future taste problems.

Having a definite index in cooking fuel is a big help is dissecting flavor issues.

Congrats on the rib cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here