Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back Ribs

Hello guys,

I smoked baby back ribs a few weeks ago, cooked them for about 5.5 hours at 225°C-260°C (had a hard time maintaining the temp to just 225°C).

The taste was good, but my concern is that it turned out chewy and did not fall off the bone like what I was aiming for. The bone even is not clean after we ate it, there are still some meat attached to the bone.

The ribs was just about 1.5 inch thick and I did removed the membrane. During my cook, I did not wrapped them in foil, just lay it there on the smoker for the entire 5.5hrs cook, and just occasionally spritzing them for like every hour.

What do you think guys went wrong, did I overcooked or undercooked it? Was it because I did not wrap it in foil? Any of you guys experienced this before?

Thanks in advance.

Shown is the picture during my cook about 4.5hours in the smoker. Did not have pics after that though, it went down in our belly right after. lol

Attached Files

My guess would be the ribs were undercooked. Are you using a good instant read thermometer to check the temp of the meat? Ribs should fall off the bone if they reach 203 degrees.

Comment

• leostar
      leostar commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually didnt check the my rib temp I just based my cook on the time and cooking chamber temp. I was thinking my ribs are to thin to measure the temperature and maybe get an inaccurate result.. but maybe ill check that one on my next cook

I just wrapped baby backs for the first time this weekend, and they were fall off of the bone. That wasn't what I was going for, I was just hoping to speed up the cooking process a bit. I definitely think wrapping will help you get to fall off the bone if that is what you are wanting! I'd say you probably cooked them slightly under if they were not tender enough for your liking. I think they look phenomenal!

Comment

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      I've gotten a nice tender rib with a good bark from not wrapping, but I wouldn't say they were fall off of the bone tender. Maybe you just had an unlucky slab!

• leostar
      leostar commented
      Editing a comment
      On your cook that you didn't wrap, did it took you longer than usual to reach that tenderness?

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it took me longer than this past time where I wrapped them. Hard to say, but I think wrapping probably sped me up by 1-2 hours.

Your time of cook is typical, but if you really meant the temp in Celsius (given your location that makes sense) you're close to double the typical temperature. Here in the US folks often shoot for 225-250 F

Comment

• leostar
      leostar commented
      Editing a comment
      oh I'm sorry.. it was in °F not °C. so my cooking temp is 225°F-260°F
      Last edited by leostar; January 14, 2020, 07:45 AM.

I use the "probe with a toothpick" method when doing ribs. When it goes in nice and easy between the bones we are done. Did you get the meat pull back on the bones? This is another way to know you are close.

Comment

• leostar
      leostar commented
      Editing a comment
      The meat pulled back from the bones a little bit but only near the edges. For this toothpick method, would that mean that if it didn't go through nice and easy, then I should still continue the cook?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Pullback should be 1/2 inch at least.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA144377-10F8-4410-930B-1DC27300BD01.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	791177 Here is some I did last night on the PBC. 3 hours total cook time.

Comment

• leostar
      leostar commented
      Editing a comment
      looks good. just only 3 hours? at what temp?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC runs around 270. Might of been higher at the start as I did two chickens first.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      These were Costco ribs, longer than usual as you can see the end close to the coals got a little crunchy.

They were undercooked. If you only learn one thing from Amazing Ribs, it's that you can't cook BBQ by time. Meat is done when it's done. Your ribs weren't done yet. Next time do the "bend" test to check ribs for doneness. If you want "fall off the bone" doneness, you need to let them go a little past when the bend test says they're done. I NEVER wrap ribs and they always come out perfect, except when they are a little overcooked and they "fall off the bone." This happens very occasionally when I get distracted while cooking. The point being your results had nothing to do with the fact that you didn't wrap the ribs. Try again and cook 'em 'til their done. They look great, by the way.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, the bend test never fails.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 is spot on. Meat is done when its done.
      I've smoked ribs wrapped and unwrapped, I prefer wrapped for the record, cook times just aren't written in stone.
      Drives the wife nuts....but I'm happy....

I agree with everyone above, you really need more time to tenderize pork and break down the connective tissue at that temperature. You also may want to try higher heat. I cook ribs routinely at 275*F and generally mine are "bite through" at about 5.5 to 6 hours. I do wrap on occasion but with butcher paper, I want the bark to shine on my ribs, it's where the flavor is !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here