Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Style Pork Ribs - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are rib chops.

Read all about Country Style ribs here :

Last edited by Bkhuna; January 13, 2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

jfmorris You are missing out. Sometimes you need a lesser amount. They are already cut and trimmed. Around here they are always boneless and sell for just a few cents more than big butts.

no need to trim, cut, vac seal and take up freezer space. With additional 15lbs of butt or scrap.

I didn’t read the recipes mentioned above but I often hard sear and quickly braise in the stove top with onions and garlic etc... if you have any Smokey broth or pork "mother" like I do I would use that.

I take that meat and use in a quick stir fry, flautas, enchilada etc... I like it best on tostadas and stir fry so as not to cover the taste of the meat.

all of this happens quickly, like an hour +.

Thats just me though.
      Last edited by HouseHomey; January 13, 2020, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, so this is with the country style "ribs" cut from the shoulder? Does all that fat and connective tissue render in a 1 hour cook?

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris Soft as buttah. You can go longer. I let it go until all the rest is ready. 1 hour 1.10hr, 1.30hr. Whatever. As I’m sure you know a braise is hot enough. You can always turn it up. My point is that it’s a very useful, convenient, no fuss no muss cut and flavor bomb for just a few cents more when you are in a hurry or didn’t thaw the vac seal or whatever.

Country style ribs are a nice item for a weeknight cook -- slower than burgers but faster than ribs. Put 'em on the grill on medium low heat, keep turning them every 10-15 minutes or so, and let 'em go for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, like Househomey sez, or even a bit longer. They're a pretty forgiving cut to grill so not to worry if you get to talking with friends and time flies. They usually cook up moist and tender unless they have a lot of loin meat on them, in which case you need to cook 'em more like pork chops. The ones in Mosca's pic (post 5) in this thread would cook up perfect.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, forgot -- I like to cook them for a crowd of friends because they kind of seem like ribs to people, but there's more meat per serving and they're often less expensive per pound than ribs. And the forgiving nature of the cook makes them a nice cut to cook for a lawn-patio party.

RESULTS:

Delicious! Will do it again!

24 hr dry brine
      140x6 SV bath
      Chilled till I could cook (15 hrs)
      Seasoned with: Coarse ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary.
      Put on cold OG till cook temp hit 325 and brought to 120 IT.
      Seared
      Served.

Bottom pick is that "country rib" bone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B1CB57-AA2F-40E3-85EA-38910D249BD9.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	790958

Name:	E8F1F154-6D39-431F-B55D-003D95DF26B6.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	790959

Name:	9EE2AFBC-3A8A-4012-88CD-C4FEEC2E2A22.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	790957

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris , it indeed appeared to be a rib bone.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Picture perfect chops!! licking my chops just looking at the pics.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora , Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here