Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with Technique for Pork Tenderloin Smoked 48 Hrs prior to Serving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Technique for Pork Tenderloin Smoked 48 Hrs prior to Serving

I have smoked many pork tenderloins, but coming up is a new twist for me and I would appreciate the voice of experience giving me a few tips please.

I will be smoking the tenderloin this coming Sunday afternoon (tomorrow) because I will have no smoker access after that until after the meal is to be eaten on New Years Day, approximately 48 hours later, 4 to 5 hours south of us.

My thought is to smoke as I usually do tomorrow, but to leave the tenderloin short of the planned eating temp (between 145* and 150*) by a good 20 degrees, let it cool some, and then either wrap in a vacuum sealed wrap or to put it into a doubled zip lock bag so that I can add say a quarter cup of either chicken stock or ham stock....leaning toward the ham stock, for moisture assistance during the 48 hour rest during which time it will remain in either a refrigerator or ice chest to keep it from spoiling.

Prior to eating on New Year's Day, I plan to put the tenderloin in a tinfoil wrap (plastic removed of course) and slowly bring it on up to say 140*, perhaps 143* in an oven, then cover and let it rest, letting carry over cooking take it on up a few degrees.

Is this a good plan? Do you have a better one to share? Vac sealed for the trip or zip lock enclosure to allow me to add some stock for moisture?

I would appreciate the voice of experience on the entire procedure as well as ideas and comments to assist me in making this travel and 48 hour situation work out as well as possible.

Thanks to all in advance,

Tom

If it were me I’d follow your plan but bring a sous vide circulator with you. Just take your sealed bag from fridg to bath at your finishing temp. Shy of that the oven finish should work fine for you.

Comment

This sounds like QVQ except you're not smoking in the third step and so I can't see any reason for it not to work. Assuming you want the pork to finish in the 140s, I'd:

1) Dry brine tonight.
      2) Tomorrow, smoke to 130, cool, vacuum seal and then refrigerate.
      3) Proceed as planned - remove plastic, wrap tightly, roast until 14x.

My inclination would be to do the finishing in the oven at ~325 to quickly warm it so it doesn't dry out. On the stock... I'd be afraid of diluting out the smoke flavor and I can't see the meat absorbing much moisture. Vacuum sealing should preserve whatever moisture it there. Maybe inject before smoking?
      EDIT: AS Troutman points out, a SV circulator would be even better to reheat with as you won't be as worried about timing ("OK people pork is done!")
      Last edited by rickgregory; December 28, 2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Good advice already. I too would skip the stock, not needed. If you can bring a SV then you heat it up with the plastic still on - zero moisture loss.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Don’t have a soul vide. Will plan to use vacuum sealer after smoking to approx 130 and refrigerate. After thinking on it I agree on omitting the stock with vac seal. Also agree 325 prob better warmup temp than slow. Will take the smoke thermometer along to monitor meat up to about 145 then pull with short rest them serve with traditional southern New Years meal of pork, turnip greens, cornbread and black eyed peas. Thanks to all for your input! Tom

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Here's your excuse to buy one ???!!!

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I will followup with a report later as to how it all turned out. So far.............I smoked the tenderloin this afternoon in my Pit Barrel (wish i had used my Weber kettle)..Pit Barrel is a great cooker but does not like to cook below 275*. I forced it to cook at approx 255* (it is effortless between 275* and about 310*) but takes work to keep it near 250*.

Reason is I wanted to cook it long enough to get some great smoke. I dry brinned earlier in the day, then this afternoon, rubbed it generously with yellow mustard followed by a liberal application of Memphis Dust. Plan was to cook to approx 130* and pull it to preserve moisture, then shrink wrap and put into refrig. so that I can pull and wrap in foil, then warm in oven at 325* on New Years Day and take to a hopefully perfect 145* pull and eat the traditional meal from Dixie as mentioned above.

The smoke is completed with hopefully satisfactory results (we will know when we eat it). Possible problem is I got to 130* on Pit Barrel much sooner than I wanted. I was pushing 140* in thinner sections. Literally slightly less than 1 hour! I used apple and cherry wood and sure do hope that was long enough to get decent smoke. Honestly it is very juicy and smells great but there is no bark, just not on smoker long enough! I pulled it and wrapped and we will see when we eat it!

I guess plan now is to remove shrink wrap Jan 1, replace with foil and warm in 325* oven and forget about browning. Alternative might to be to skip the foil all together, and simply go to oven broiler and flip every 30 to 45 seconds until it reaches 145*. Thoughts??????????

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            You could warm it to 120-130 and then remove and sear it.

Yes I am thinking seriously of warming to approx 135 then removing foil and flipping it repeatedly under broiler until I reach say 143 and pull. Additional twist will be I have never used the stove or oven in this location before. I did however bring along my digital thermometers to assist me!

Comment

Ok, as promised, here is the final result and am still much interested in your thoughts. I pretty much did as I indicated I planned. Removed meat from plastic, wrapped in foil, inserted Smoke thermometer and heated to 135*. (Oven set on 325*). Pulled foil off, put meat directly on alum pan under broiler to bring temp up and hopefully brown meat, and attempted to avoid taking carry over cooking beyond 150*.

Partial success, partial disappointment.........meat was quite juicy and smoky which was nice. Broiler time not sufficient to brown meat....no real biggie but I was nonetheless somewhat disappointed. Flavor I thought was fine but my wife thought it was off a little....no idea as to why on taste.

Main complaint we both had was that the meat was rather tough....easily chewable but not as soft as tenderloin can and should be.

We wonder: did I somehow over cook it when carry over cooking temp did reach 160 at least on thinner sections...was still very juicy but definitely tough???

Should warmup temp have been lower or higher?????

And here is the most interesting aspect of all: I smoked both halves of the tenderloin together and at the same time. We took one half with us and gave the other half to a son and daughter-in-law who stayed here in town. Her routine was even simpler. She warmed hers up in a 400* convection oven to brown and finish cooking and did not use broiler. No foil at all. Pulled and they ate their traditional meal which was similar to ours.

Their meat was taken to 150* pulled rested and eaten. They indicated it was very juicy and that they could cut it with their fork!

I am somewhat at a loss over the difference UNLESS the two tenderloin halves were from different tenderloins in reality and we simply got a tough piece of meat!??????

Any final comments and thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks to all who participated!!

Tom

Comment

160 is well done, so that could explain some of it. I'm mystified by the idea of it being juicy but tough. Got nothing on that. Was it actually tough or just not a tender as you thought it should be?

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, I agree 160 was higher than I intended! But juicy it was still. And to split hairs........it was not as tender as I thought it should be. I still think that dau-in-laws half may well have been from a different tenderloin......but my wife, a retired chef who has cooked countless tenderloins says she has never run into a tenderloin where one half's tenderness was that different from the other????

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here