Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Ham - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Ham - Help

My mother-in-law just asked if I would smoke a ham for Christmas. She apparently has a Kentucky Legend BONELESS ham.

I am assuming she is referring to this:

also pictured below.

Apparently it is already smoked and has its own glaze already baked on or something.

Normally I would do a bone in ham so I haven’t tried the boneless option.

Thoughts on how to proceed?
    Can we do anything to make it better?
    Or is it just best to toss it on the smoker and heat it up?

I saw someone mention smoked ham burnt ends but they weren’t happy with them.

I am open to suggestions!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E610DA0-27B3-440C-883B-4C0E2778463C.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	782017

Nate take a small slice off an end and taste it. That will give you a lead on how to go. It says its double hickory smoked so it may have a strong hickory flavor. If not you might want to use a cherry or apple smoke on it to give it some flavor. Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

I regularly do boneless, pre-cooked hams on my smokers...I jus cook em to IT, an serve...generally, I'm runnin hickory. Folks rave bout em, an I do quite th many fer customers, especial at th holidays...

I'd jus smoke it up, see what ya git. It's ham, an smoke. Should be all good.

If'n it already purty smokey, ya can always smoke a spell, finish to IT in yer oven, as well...

I jus smoke em.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 22, 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you... I think this is probably going to be the route I go to because of time and also a future point of reference.

I think a ham can take a lot of punishment and only get better! I recently cooked a home cured ham twice. Once to cook it. And again, flooded with injected apple stuff and sugars, to dilute the exceptional saltiness, an outrageous result of following advice to doublie the cure recipe for double the weight, a recipe not to be found on Amazing Ribs. My own snafu! But, this beaten ham is dang delicious now!

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      interesting... thanks

Here's a discussion about twice-smoked ham with several links to good recipes/methods to follow -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-christmas-ham

I'd taste your ham first and see what you think. If you think it's already as smokey as you want it to be, just bake it on the grill to cook out some of the extra water. In my experience baking a ham, even without smoke, will make a good ham even better.

That said, I recently smoked a ham that was already smoked by the butcher, and I thought it turned out real nice. I followed Malcolm Reed's tutorial fairly closely: https://howtobbqright.com/2019/12/05...ed-smoked-ham/ I thought the extra smoke was a nice addition to the flavor.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

that looks to be a PIT ham. I cook mine on a rotisserie with an orange, bourbon, ribboncane syrup glaze. If you want I can provide details.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Please, if ya would, Brother...
      Details...

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones beat me to it... thanks for posting!

I basically follow this recipe, but use dried herbs, and reduce the baste and the glaze down thicker.
    https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning...rup-glazed-ham
    Mr. Bones

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome... Thank you for sharing... not sure how much time I am going to have on Christmas... but I want to definitely try this sometime soon.... i need to bust out the rotisserie more often!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate it's awesome

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks fer sharin, amigo!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here