Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MH Bacon Recipe Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MH Bacon Recipe Question

MH's bacon recipe uses quantities listed for 1 lb bacon, but mentions a gallon ziplock bag will hold a 3 lb slab. I'm assuming I triple the ingredients for a three pound slab?, but thought I'd get opinions from the expert bacon makers out there. First time for me, so I want to make sure I do it right. I have 20 lbs of pork belly in the freezer so doing 7, 3 lb batches would be much less prep and smoking than doing 20, 1 lb batches.

Dr. ROK, there are recipes for various quantities out there. I believe you would just multiply by your quantity for larger projects. Luckily its not an exact science, like baking, as long as you get the key ingredients right, you should be OK.

Comment

Have four bags going right now. Saturday they come out of the fridge for a smoke. I did 1 1/2 the ingredients per bag. Will give a report when cooked.

Comment

I did a 3 lb. bacon hunk in a gallon bag and tripled the ingredients. Came out wonderful

Comment

3x for 3lbs. There is not much liquid in there and you need to push out most of the air to cover the meat.
          If you flip every day it will likely work, considering bacn is generally dry brined.
          You are in for a real treat with this!

Comment

I agree with W.A. multiply the recipe for 1x for each pound of meat that you are preparing.

-Alden

Comment

If you read the recipe, it says to multiply the ingredients by the pounds of meat. Three pound: x3; five pounds: x5. It's right there. Do what it says and you'll be fine. Don't make it up and don't guess.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I must be blind I still don't see that in the recipe, but that's what I assumed. I watched the video on the recipe page and the gentleman there was making three batches each in a separate bag. I'm going to follow his lead and make a bag of each of the flavors listed in the recipe.

• Doc Hazard
                Doc Hazard commented
                Editing a comment
                Dr ROK; sorry, you are correct. But it used to be there before the site switch, right above the ingredients it said something like "This recipe is for one pound of meat. If you use more, you must scale up the ingredients proportionally; if you have less than one pound, use the cure as written." I guess MH took it out when he revised the page, and added a Plain Bacon recipe; I can't imagine why. He did create a separate Curing Meats page, but that's not much help as it says "the bacon recipe is different." To add to the confusion, on the bacon page under Method, he mentions putting a 3 lb piece of belly in a plastic bag with the cure, but no mention of scaling up the amount. I should have looked again before I typed, but I knew I had read it. I now have my own cure spice mix, I don't go to that page generally. To emphasize, the important parts are to scale the amount of salt, curing salt, and total liquid. Everything else is just flavors and can be varied at will. I've found I like using corned beef spices (like pickling spices, but apparently different) with some sweetener, usually brown and white sugar, and Karo.

Is the reason distilled water is called for is to avoid chlorinated water? Our water is ground water & isn't chlorinated.

Comment

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                That must be a new change also, as I've got a copy of the Maple Bacon recipe saved to Evernote and it doesn't mention water type. I've just used tap water each time I've made it, with no issues.

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                We have had reports from people whose cure liquids got cloudy and we came to the conclusion it was microbial contamination, so we now recommend distilled.

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                I have also used tap water and i never had issues - but tap water can differ depending on location i guess. Would bottled water work? Just curious .....
                Last edited by Steve Vojtek; April 25, 2015, 06:16 AM.

Bigger batches work fine. Just multiply ingredients X lbs. I get a better deal when I buy bellies by the 50# case. so always do big batches. Can't believe that the kind of water is a big deal as long as it's something you would drink. I use a dry rub that doesn't require water, but by about day 3 it's drawn enough water out of the bellies that it's basically a wet brine for the next 10-12 days anyway. Warning! You will never look at store bought bacon the same again (or be satisfied with it). Enjoy!

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                HorseDoctor, are your bellies frozen or fresh. I purchased a 25 lb case thinking I'd get several to use one at a time. They were all frozen together and I didn't want to thaw all of them at once since this was the first time I'd done bacon. Ended up using my reciprocating saw to cut the massive chunk of frozen pork into three larger chunks. Wrapped two in plastic wrap and foil and back into the freezer with them. The remaining chunk I used to make one batch of each of MH's three recipes. Got about a week to go in the fridge yet. Looking forward to finally having some awesome bacon vs the store bought.

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                They come frozen, but I thaw, skin & cure the whole case at once. Wish I could buy them already skinned but the supplier that has skinned bellies also charges about 3 times as much for them.

Just scale up the recipe. the important part is the salt and pink salt ratio to the meat. that gets you the proper cure. I have mustard and maple recipes I make regularly and am dialing in Asian and cajun recipes. salts are most important, other ingredients for flavor. a tip: excess sugar makes bacon burn easier. watch as you cook.

Comment

Also, be careful that if you have more than one piece of meat that you don't stsck them.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have them in separate bags. Are you referring to stacking them all in the same bag or even if they are in separate bags?

• Steve Vojtek
                  Steve Vojtek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From what i know if you have more than one piece in the same curing mix the cure won't penetrate where the meat is touching - I have seen it happen - I guess being in separate bags should not be an issue as long as You 'gently massage ' them and flip them at least once a day to redistribute the cure and mix it with the juices released by the belly.When I make bacon I 'massage and flip' twice a day - when I wake up and when I get home from work just to be sure - result is always great bacon ...

I made one of each of MH's flavors and I love them all. The wife thinks they need more salt, which surprised me since she's usually a salt nazi! I did make some substitutions on the Asian as I don't care for hoisin sauce or 5 spice power. I used an equal amount of gochujang mixed with ketchup (2:1 ratio) in place of the hoisin sauce and allspice for the 5 spice. The other recipes were made as described in the recipes.

For some reason when I tried to upload pics, they come up sideways for some reason. If you interested in pics or my step by step log you can check it out here:

Used reciprocating saw to cut three frozen pork bellies into approxomately 6 Lb chunks. Wrapped all but one with plastic wrap and foil and returned to freezer. Placed remaining chunk in glass baking d...

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                  Steve Vojtek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks awesome. I have only made the maple syrup recipe first with honey all i had - and then again with real maple syrup both times loved it. Everyone i gave a taste to loved it and their main comment was - not too salty like the shop bought stuff - i'm a bit of a 'salt nazi ' myself - but you can always add more salt it won't hurt it....great job from an old refrigerator though .. i remember ....

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here