Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat up Smoked Ham - Need advice pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat up Smoked Ham - Need advice pls

Hi Folks!

I have about 10 lbs of Ham that I smoked and sliced on Sunday. The reheat option is aluminum pan / sterno. The pan is 19 1/2 x 11 1/2. I hope to fit all of the ham in the single pan; slices layered, might center the thicker parts / ends in the middle. I have plenty of foil to cover the pan.

I can elevate the cook pan about 1" above the water pan. Think of a double boiler type setup. I'm also thinking that I'll have about 1 inch of water in the lower pan, but don't plan on adding water to the ham itself unless it becomes necessary ( to keep it from drying out ). I'll heat up some Chris Lilly sauce as an optional condiment for dipping.

So here is my question: Any thoughts on how long I should run this setup under 2 sterno burners to create a warm to hot ham without drying it out.

Thanks in advance,

--Ed

Easier if you have a foodsaver vacuum sealer or use 2 large ziploc bags. Take as much air out. Bag the ham and place in pot with around 140 degrees water. Then use the sterno to keep it warm for serving.

Sternos are great for keeping warm food warm but suck to actually heat food.
    Last edited by Ernest; April 15, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Good solution.

Hi Ernest!

Thanks for the great info. Everything came out really well with the sternos, but I hear what you're saying with placing the ham in the pot. How long do you keep it in the pot at 140 degrees?

I've watched a video where a guy did the same thing with pulled pork out of the freezer. Can't beat foodsaver stuff! One of the best investments we've made.

Below is a link to the bulk bags that I buy. Way lower than foodsaver bags. I do buy Foodsaver Rolls and Freshsaver bags, though.

Good Deal Here.

Best,

--Ed

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Depending on how you pack, 45 minutes to an hour
      That's how I do pulled pork. I smoke it a week in advance and vacuum seal it with some of the Jus. Day of feasting, drop the bags in water. Taste fresh off the smoker.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here