Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuletas en Salsa (Baked Pork Chips in Tomato Sauce)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuletas en Salsa (Baked Pork Chips in Tomato Sauce)

Since I mentioned this in a recent post about Recaito, I figured I'd post the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:
    []6 loin pork chops, bone-in about 1 inch thick
    []Sazon seasoning for seasoning the chops plus 2 packets for the sauce
    []Goya Light Adobo seasoning
    []1 medium onion fine diced
    []3-4 cloves of garlic pressed
    []1 can plain diced tomatoes, lightly crushed
    []1 can Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes with Chiles, lightly crushed (If you don't like any heat, use a second can of plain diced tomatoes)
    []1/2 cup (approx) dry white wine
    []2-3 Tbsp Recaito or Sofrito - homemade or Goya
    []1 cup (approx) chicken broth
    []3 Tbsp Olive oil

METHOD:
    1. Season both sides of three chops well with sazon and adobo. Meat should be well covered. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to marinate.
    2. When chops are done marinating, pre-heat oven to 350 deg.
    3. Heat a large deep sided skillet (preferably oven proof with a well-fitting cover) over medium high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add pork chops in a single layer, this might need to be done in batches. Cook on medium to medium high until well-seared and nicely browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. When both sides are browned, remove chops to a plate.
    4. When all the chops have been browned, reduce heat to medium and add the diced onion. Saute, stirring constantly until onion its soft and starting to brown - about 3-4 minutes. Add pressed garlic and homemade recaito (if using) and continue to stir for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
    5. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
    6. Add the crushed tomatoes and 2 packets of sazon and stir to combine and mixture to a boil.
    7. If using an oven-proof skillet, return the pork chops to the pan, otherwise place them in a baking dish, preferably glass or ceramic, big enough to hold them and deep enough to prevent them from sticking up above the sides and pour the contents of the skillet over them. It's ok if they are in 2 layers. Push them around to coat each of them with the tomato sauce.
    8. Pour in the chicken broth to bring the sauce up to or very near the top of the highest chops.
    9. Cover tightly (use tin foil if using a pan with out a lid or even underneath a loose-fitting lid if necessary) and bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour, removing the cover for the last 15 minutes.
    10. Remove from the oven and serve with Spanish or Mexican style yellow rice and red or black beans if desired.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; December 14, 2019, 05:28 PM.

This sounds amazing. Two questions: what is Sazon? and do you have a recipe for the Recaito?. I was just thinking about doing something similar in a salsa verde with either white beans or hominy.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sazón is a Latinx seasoning powder. The one I prefer it's made by Goya. It's got a distinctive bright red/orange color from the annatto/achiote on it. I posted the link to the Recaito recipe in the SUWYC thread earlier today.

mnavarre
    ​ link to Recaito recipe:
    INGREDIENTS: 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in quarters 8 cloves garlic, peeled 9 ajicitos dulces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aj%C3%AD_dulce) cut in

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here