Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy Pork Chili Verde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicy Pork Chili Verde

This mainly for fzxdoc -

This is my basic recipe that I have done several times before in a slower cooker together with my recipe notes which include the pressure cooker version. The last note is pretty much exactly what I did yesterday which I posted on the SUWYC thread:

Ingredients
    [] 1 - 2 yellow onions, coursely chopped
    [] 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic crushed then coursely chopped
    [] salt and pepper to taste
    [] chipotle powder to taste
    [] ground cumin to taste
    [] 1-2 packets Sazon with annato and culantro
    [] 3 pounds pork shoulder roast
    [] 1 (16 ounce) jar hot green salsa
    [] 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    [] 2-4 serrano chile peppers, or to taste, sliced (can substitute jalapenos)

Directions
    1. Layer the chopped onion into the bottom of a slow cooker and sprinkle the crushed and chopped garlic over it. Trim any rind and excess fat from the pork shoulder and season well with salt and pepper, chipotle powder, cumin and sazon; place atop the chopped onion. Pour the green salsa over the pork. Sprinkle the the cilantro over the salsa and pork. Drop the serrano chile peppers into the slow cooker.

2. Cook on Low until the meat falls apart easily, about 8 hours. (If using cubed or sliced shoulder or butt roast, 5 hours on low is sufficient.) Gently remove the pork to a cutting board. Strain the remaining liquid from the slow cooker to separate the vegetable solids. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the onions, garlic, peppers, and cilantro with about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to make a thick sauce (you can thin with a small amount of additional cooking liquid to reach desired consistency). Return the rest of the thin liquid to the slow cooker.

3. Shred the pork shoulder with a pair of forks. Place the shredded pork back in the slow cooker with the reserved liquid to heat up and serve. Serve the thick sauce made with the cooking veggies on the side.

Serving suggestions:

Serve the meat on flour tortillas as soft tacos with shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped lettuce and diced tomatoes. The green sauce can be spooned on top as a "green taco sauce".

Use leftovers to make meat enchiladas

Notes:
    1. Can be cooked in a pressure cooker/instant pot: Put all ingredients in the pressure cooker - put the meat on the bottom - and cook on high pressure for 35 mins followed by 10 min natural release then quick release.
    2. Can brown the pork pieces a bit before cooking if you have the time, especially in the pressure cooker using the saute function, before adding the rest of the ingredients.
    3. Add 1 or 2 poblanos together with the serranos/jalapenos.
    4. 12/13/19 - Did the instant pot version. Used 4lbs of pork after trimming. I used 2 poblanos, 3 serranos. 35 mins high pressure followed by 30 min natural release and then quick release of the rest. The meat was perfectly done. There wasn't enough green sauce. Next time I will add some more peppers to make more sauce.

Love me some Pork Chili Verde. Sounds like a great recipe.
    Been making some Pork & Hominy stew should be ready later today. Will post some pictures later

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds great. Is it like a pozole?

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      And recipe too please

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 Not really other than pork and hominy.
      W.A. Will do. Long involved recipe from Anson Mills.

I am going to make this next week.

Comment

Awesome. I can use this. Got a freezer full of pork

Comment

I would suggest that you also check out Kenji's recipe

Comment

That is a very legitimate recipe. I do something very similar. I use almost identical ingredients but haven't tried the packets. I buy my green salsa from a local vendor - delicious. I start the pork in the smoker and finish it up with very similar ingredients in a Lodge Dutch Oven in the BBQ. I wouldn't be able to articulate it into a recipe like you did. Very nice job! I serve with tortillas on day one. On day 2 I put a little vegetable oil on some of the pork and bake for carnitas or if I feel like my arteries are good, I fry it up in lard

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Starting out in the smoker sounds really good. I get a hint of smokiness from the chipotle powder. Also, the sazón is totally optional. I tend to add it to anything remotely latinx just because I love both the flavor and the color. In fact, I empty a bunch of packets into an empty spice jar with a shaker top so I don't have to deal with the packets while cooking. I was really just looking for an excuse to use my new Instant Pot 😯
            Last edited by Dewesq55; December 14, 2019, 12:55 PM.

Thanks for posting this. Yesterday's pics made me wonder how you had prepared it.

Comment

Oh my! It may be mainly for fzxdoc but I will shamelessly ride her coattails all the way to the dinner table. Printed this and making plans.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I only tagged her in it because she had asked for it and I didn't want her to miss it. It's most definitely for everyone. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! I'm doing enchiladas tonight with leftovers!

Thank you so much, Dewesq55 , for putting together the recipe here on the Pit. I'm definitely going to give this a try. It sounds so delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

If you're one to tweak a good basic recipe like this adding cinnamon (stick preferred, but powder will work fine) will be interesting. I also marinate the meat in tequila for 24 hours...………...doesn't make a huge difference, but I like the idea .

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the 24 hr marinade would add a level of advanced planning that I'm not really up for with this kind of dish, but thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds good. I make a similar chili but make my own salsa with roasted tomatillos and a hatch/jalapeño/poblano peppers.

Comment

Thanks for this! I was looking for some inspiration!

Comment

This has been a very helpful post and thread. Thank you ALL!!

I’m going to do chili verde this weekend. I’m going to season the pork with kosher salt and a homemade sazon. I’m gonna start the shoulder and onions on the smoker. I’m going to use a blend of Hatch chilies, tomatillos, and jalapeños for the sauce. I’m going to finish it all in my Dutch oven at 225 degrees.

I’m confident that it’s going to be all I hoped for. I will post a final recipe and pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here