Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling Pig

Have any of you ever done a suckling pig? I am really thinking about this. Been spending a good deal of time with Jennifer McLagan's cookbooks. a small gripe, for someone who claims to be a whole animal cook, I see a lot of recipes that say "Discard". I made trotter's jelly a few days ago and also made jelly in the process of making cracklins. when I chilled the jelly the first time ( I do it twice for thorough cooking purposes, and so that I can remove the fats before I concentrate the jelly) and I had enough beautiful, snow whit lard to make two batches of hot water pastry. too much to toss.

Anyway, back to suckling. would you guys BBQ or roast? they are supposed to be 12-15 pounds so, about twice or more of a butt. Then again, if I had a suckling, I might actually, just butcher it the way I would break down a chicken and cook the various parts for different meals.

thoughts?

Meathead ultimately recommends breaking it down due to the varying temps needed for all the different muscle groups......but he does have a page devoted to it whole.

Learn how to cook a whole hog the way the pros do it. Our whole hog or suckling pig smoking guide discusses everything from shopping to prepping and serving in our extensive whole hog recipe.

And then there is this place....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here