Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Pork Shoulder

I was in Costco a couple of weeks ago and bought this Swifts Premium Pork Roast.

As I opened it it was in two haves at about 9 lb each.

So i drieI them off and then did a dry salt brine for 24 hrs

After the 24 hour dry salt brine I took them out and dried them off, oiled them and gave them a good coating of MMD rub. I noticed that the butcher really carved them up removing the bone.

So I went back and did some more research in the AR articles and have decided that I will tie each one together to smoke them as I want a big block of flesh and not some really then and real thick parts cooking at the same time. I will leave them in the Fridge till Friday morning early and then tie them off unless you feel they should be tied now.

This is going to be fun to watch Barry.

Comment

I don't have a Faux Bro yet so I will get one before I start on Friday

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        FauxBro love it. FoBro for shorter.

And yes Jon it will be fun for me to watch also!!

Barry

Comment

I bought the same item...this is my first time venturing into pulled pork. Brined for about 20 hours. Just put it out on the pellet smoker. I'm using a blend of hickory and northwest apple wood pellets. Setting internal temperature for 205 F, but plan to remove it at 203 F (the grill shuts down after hitting set internal temperature, so I didn't want that to occur at 200 F). I'm looking forward to enjoying this tonight! Unit is a Louisiana Grills 570 with attached cold smoke box. Really enjoy the simplicity of this!

Comment

Hi C2C. Sounds like you are set up properly to Geterdone. Remember the fork test as per MH. I am sure you read his PP recipe and technique

4) Is it ready? When it hits about 170°F, collagens, which are part the connective tissues, begin to melt and turn to gelatin. That's magic baby. The meat gets much more tender when this happens. And juicy. When it hits 195°F, it may be ready, and it may not be ready. But it's time to check. The exterior should be dark brown. Some rubs and cookers will make the meat look black like a meteorite, but it is not burnt and it doesn't taste burnt. There may be glistening bits of melted fat. On a gas cooker it may look shiny pink. If there is a bone, use a glove or paper towel to protect your fingers and wiggle the bone. If it turns easily and comes out of the meat, the collagens have melted and you are done. If there is no bone, use the "stick a fork in it method". Insert a fork and try to rotate it 90 degrees. If it turns with only a little torque, you're done. If it's not done, close the lid and go drink a mint julep for 30 minutes. If the internal temp hits 195°F but the meat is still not tender, push on up to 203°F, my new favorite target. At this number the meat seems to soften significantly. If it is still not soft, you've just got a tough butt. Wrap tough butts in aluminum foil and let them go for another hour. If you can't control the temp on your cooker, wrap the meat in heavy duty foil and move it indoors into a 200°F oven. Do not add sauce while it is on the cooker. That comes after you pull it.

If I had a Jet, I could be there before it is done.

Comment

Yep, looking forward to the final pictures. Love the mint julep reference, good drink!

Comment

I currently have these on my pellet smoker

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4695.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	12066

Comment

They look great Dave. Not knowing a lot about pellet smokers do they need a water pan? My impression is no but, I wanted to confirm it.

Comment

Im heading to Costco today to get that very same thing! I always use their meat for my pork shoulder. You're making me drool already...

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                    They look great Dave. Not knowing a lot about pellet smokers do they need a water pan? My impression is no but, I wanted to confirm it.
                    Thanks Barry. As to your question... They don't need a waterpan, however, I place a foiled pan under the butts to catch juices. This is to help keep the smoker a bit cleaner. Since I have a pan in there anyway, I usually pour some water in to help get a little extra smoke flavor.

Pellet Smokers don't heat water as quickly as some other smokers, so I make sure to microwave the water before I pour it in. I try to get the water to around 190F.

Comment

Good gracious...the neighborhood is being perfumed by my endeavor! It smells delicious! So far, I'm at internal temp of 172F, possibly out of the "stall". I appreciate the reminder about the fork test...going to check things out at 195-200F. In the mean time...since we've picked weeds, picked green beans, picked tomatoes, trimmed the garlic, cleaned the garage, and had a couple of beers, I think it's time to...uh...have another beer!

This is a little less frightening than my first beef brisket. Seems like there's a lot more "wiggle room". I will say, though, that the advice from this site is what allowed me to make that brisket and serve it to friends who are VERY accomplished with pellet smoker cooking.

My in-laws are arriving Thursday. I already finished simmering the (home) corned beef brisket (I brined it for 8 days in MARCH, the froze it...cooked it last week), which is amazing! Sliced it and froze it under vacuum. I plan on doing some Reubens one night, pulled pork another night, and who knows for the rest!

Comment

OK...so the finished product...first time pork shoulder...is wrapped in foil. Yes...i took a chunk of the bark when it was done! Someone has to be in charge of quality assurance! It was sublime! Gonna pull this apart this evening...my mouth is watering just smelling it! Thanks for the awesome help! This truly is my "go-to" for all things cooked outdoors!

Comment

Well, there you go, another success story from the pages of AR. Congrats and look forward to seeing your posts and pics in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by cut2cure View Post
                            OK...so the finished product...first time pork shoulder...is wrapped in foil. Yes...i took a chunk of the bark when it was done! Someone has to be in charge of quality assurance! It was sublime! Gonna pull this apart this evening...my mouth is watering just smelling it! Thanks for the awesome help! This truly is my "go-to" for all things cooked outdoors!

VERY NICE!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here