Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Ham - Need advice pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Ham - Need advice pls

Hi All,

Today I'm smoking (2) 6 lb hams using the recipe / technique here. Here's my concern - I also have a little 2.07 lb turkey ham for the Boss

Has anyone done a ham this small? I'm planning on following the techniques of smoking, crutching, basting, then sizzling.

What I'm looking for is any timing info, i.e., how long to smoke, etc. I'm only going to use 1/2oz of Hickory Chips. I'm using Mavericks, so monitoring grate and meat temp is not an issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

--Ed

My little 2-3 pound hams made it to 140, probably in an hour and a half, unwrapped in a 300 degree Pit Barrel. I got caught up and wasn't able to make it back until the 2.5 hour mark, and they were at 160.

Comment

Thanks Jerod!

Everything came out well. The (2) 6 pounders were an easy cook. Cooker behaved well sitting between 225 - 230. So what if I lost 1 Maverick Probe AND, AND, the insta-read. ( Have backup probes, and fortunately know that the hams will hit 140+ during the final "sizzle".

Cooker ran hot on the little ham - 250's, but I let it go and just watched the IT accordingly.

I'll post pictures later on the appropriate thread.

--Ed

Comment

Awesome!!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here