Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porchetta on a Pellet Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Wrong, no sir. It’s just one more thing that I am seriously debating on making. Adding this the long growing list of things. I can’t seem to do anything of a reasonable size. Mine likely will feed about 1200 people because that’s just what I do.

• viola2572
    commented on 's reply
    Hi I am British not familiar with the terminology , have I done something wrong, if so sorry

• Davek8282
    replied
    So I checked the Free Side and the Porchetta Recipe from BBQ Stars has been published by Meathead. I have made the recipe I subbed sun dried tomatoes for his homemade ones.

The quintessential taste of Italy is not pasta, not pizza, not Barolo, and not olive oil. It is porchetta, a rich, fatty, herby, crazy fragrant, crazy good, boneless pork roast swaddled in incredibly crunchy pork cracklins, sliced, and served on a rustic bun.

Got me thinking I will have to look for a full belly and make again, and I agree skin on is the best way to go.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Great, just great! I had a few minutes to spare and you throw this at me.

gonna try and shake it off!
    Last edited by HouseHomey; April 29, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• viola2572
    replied
    Hi a bit late in to this but this is how you make it forgive my swearing (once)

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    Great video PKB...starting my research for Easter dinner and finding some great stuff!

• Sweaty Paul
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack rickgregory - wow. Need to try that!

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Great minds... I linked this one up in post #9.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Found this... Just a fun 7 minutes on how a third generation Italian butcher known for his porchetta makes it:

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Dial it up a notch by making the pork into bacon first . (Lots of black pepper/honey/jalapeno) then make the porchetta as per the recipe..

• Ahumadora
    replied
    Secret to crispy skin is make is as dry as posible before cooking. You can do this by wiping the skin dry with paper towels then vigorisly rubbing on the skin mountains of salt . Leave the skin exposed in the fridge for 2 days to dry and it becomes nearly transparent. Don't use a water pan when cooking and resonably high heat. You can always hit any areas that are not crackeld with a burner to finish it off.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    If you want to experience something like traditional porchetta I'd not go with a straight rolled belly version. Since the 'real' version is a full pig, you're after the complexity and contrast you get from going, er, whole hog and a single cut version just can't give you that.

Assuming the full pig version is what you want to emulate, I'd recommend using at least 2 cuts. For me, using pork shoulder inside isn't enough of a contrast, hence using loin (you CAN do a loin wrapped in shoulder wrapped in belly version but it's... large. Honestly, the loin wrapped in the belly isn't really any harder. If you're unsure about your ability to 'unwrap' the loin (you don't just stuff a whole loin inside) ask a butcher to do it for you. Here's a YouTube video showing the technique... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-zRcnLXhng

I get that some people are all about fatty stuff and of course everyone should make what they like, but to me an all belly porchetta vs a more complex version is like comparing Italian American food with actual Italian food. Both can be really tasty, but the former isn't really like the latter.
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 29, 2019, 03:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Try The Spice House for the pollen. I think Amazon also carries Pollen Ranch products.

Leave a comment:

• Don Pickrell
    replied
    Thanks to all for the enthusiastic responses and generous tips -- I'm persuaded, and will definitely give the rolled belly version a try the next time I make it. The loin wrapped in belly version sounds extremely promising as well, even if a little more ambitious.

The recipe I've been using has you roast it slow (300 degrees) until the interior is done, then raise the heat to 500 degrees to crisp the outside (that's when the fire started!), but I can see that having the skin on would probably make the second step unnecessary, and should produce a much crisper crust to boot. Cooking at the higher temperature somehow doesn't seem intuitive, but since everyone seems to endorse it, I'll convert to that method in the future. But where do I get fennel pollen? I asked at my usually-reliable Italian market and they just looked at me funny, but they're mostly from the far southern area of the country, so maybe that explains it?

My goal will be to match the beautiful look of Troutman's version...

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    treesmacker There's an extended bit in the first episode of Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix that is also very good. I couldn't find it on Youtube, but it gets to the history of the dish, and shows a full hog porchetta.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here