Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glögg injected Christmas Ham - with a mustard batter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glögg injected Christmas Ham - with a mustard batter

Hi Pit members, I haven't posted in a while, sad to say. Been crazy busy. But I did manage to smoke a ham yesterday. Ham is very traditional for Xmas in Sweden, so every year I smoke a few. It is normally cooked, but i like smoked better

So, the M.O. is easy. Buy a store brined ham, trim off the skin, but leave that delicious fat cap. Inject it with as much glögg (similar to mulled wine or glühwein, but sweeter) as you can. Now wipe it off, and apply the rub. I use my own Hank's KC Royale rub.

Now on to the smoker for 3 hours. Keep 120-130° C (250-265° F). I use cherry wood for smoke flavor, 2-3 chunks. Once inner temp hits 65-66° C (149-152° F) it is time to bring it in. Let it rest for 30-60 minutes on the cutting board in room temp.

Now mix the batter, consisting of:

1 egg
    3 tbsp dijon mustard
    3 tbsp bread crumbs

Brush it on evenly, it should be a thick layer covering the ham. Skip the 'underside'. Now crank up the temp in the smoker to 200° C (400° F), and place the ham (gently so you don't scrape off the batter) back on the smoker. Leave it for 15-20 minutes. The ham is done. Bring it in, slice it, and enjoy some real juicy flavorful ham!

Hank, over 'n out

Raw ham, 2.3 kilos (5 lbs)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ham-1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	775744

Skin trimmed off

Name:	ham-2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	775743

Injected with glögg (kinda looks like a hair transplant gone bad...)

Name:	ham-3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	775747

Rub applied

Name:	ham-4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	775745

Here's the ham on the grill

Name:	ham-5.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	775749

Alright, smoke session done, soon time for the mustard batter/crust

Name:	ham-6.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	775748

Here's the mustard batter applied, back into the smoker for some high heat treatment

Name:	ham-7.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	775746

And the end result. We have a winner

Name:	ham-8.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	775750

Sir, that looks outstanding! I have to say, I have never thought of injecting Glogg into anything, except myself. I think I may try your recipe for the Christmas ham this year. Sounds delicious.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Make sure there’s glögg for the ham as well as the chef ;-)

That looks incredible.

This is really interesting, I have never made anything with a batter on the outside. Come to think of it. I have yet to smoke a ham.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I can highly recommend it! And I use an alcohol free glögg, tastes great! I think that batter on the outside really picks it up a notch.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. Not a big ham guy because I tend to recall the salty boring hams from childhood. There's a world of delicious ham of which I know very little about, and I should change that.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally recommend MH's double smoked recipe if this one scares you. I usually do it in an aluminum pan with a mustard glaze, so I can baste every 20 minutes or so.

When I read batter I was thinking Deep Fried Ham!

Mmmmmmmm Ham! (With my best Homer Simpson voice)

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! I can hear that Homer Simpson voice in my head! Turned out darn good.

I only have one question, can you skol with Glogg ???

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      We're pretty big on skol around here.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Skoal, brutha!

That ham looks really good...and quite a bit different than any ham I’ve ever seen.

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik The ones I’ve gotten have been a bit rounder with the fat cap going most of the way around instead of just sitting on top.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I think most American hams are from rear leg, the lower thigh of the hog on up to the rear shoulder. So depending on the part of the leg, you get mostly uniformly round (near the top) to a tapered cut (further down). Yours seems a bit smaller in diameter. We have other hams like picnic that come from front legs, but 'ham' typically is the back end.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, ham must come from the rear leg.

Wowser

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here