Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on the new Napoleon Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs on the new Napoleon Pro

Recently purchased a new Napoleon Pro 500 based on reviews here and elsewhere--what a great resource.

Last weekend I decided to try ribs according to Meathead's instructions. So, set the grill on indirect at 225 and got them going for 90-120 minutes when I realized that these were St. Louis and not baby backs, so I would need a couple hours more than I had intended.

Well, I didn't have a couple hours more--dinner time was set. Since before the new grill I was used to cooking ribs in about 30 minutes (yes, yes, I know), I knew the family would still think they were 100% better, so I decided to crank up the heat to about 350 to finish them off. So, after about 3.5 hours total, I did the bend test and they looked ready.

I have to say, they were still absolutely fabulous--never had better ribs, certainly at home, nor at a restaurant. So, this seems like a pretty effective way to shorten the cooking time without compromising too much quality.

My only challenge, though, is that I can only fit about two slabs on the grill if I lay them flat--and even then I've got to cut one in half so I can fit them all in the indirect cooking area. I'm wondering how having a rib rack might improve the space issue, and what impact I should expect on the cooking strategy/time?

Would love feedback on both the above topics, thanks.

​/mike

I always use rib racks. I have a WSM 18", so I really can not fit whole racks (OK maybe 1 rack). Shouldn't increase your cook time that much, but a little since you have more cold meat to warm.

Comment

NICE grill man!!!!

Rib racks work great, just watch out for the thickness of the ribs, especially back ribs with that loin meat. Also, watch the ends, in that they don't fall over on each other.

Click on the link below...

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._than_one.html
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 12, 2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here