Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly ratz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly ratz

We were in Brantford this morning visiting our new grand daughter and dropped into Strode's BBQ for lunch.
    Scanning they're meat counter spot a pork belly and I saw bacon, 3.4lber for $17, I'm on it.
    Now, do you think I can find Pink Curing Salt anywhere around here?
    And try asking for Prague Powder #1....
    Is there any other cure aid for bacon?
    Not a dire situation there's always burnt endz.

I would try Amazon.

This works pretty good.

Comment

Doesn't ship to Canada.
      Tried Amazon.ca and can't get delivery till Dec 5-7.
      In retrospect Strode's probably had this but I did not know I needed it, so Its on me for jumping in with no research.
      So....Burnt Ends tomorrow.

Comment

Maybe celery seeds, but I have no idea how much.

Comment

Googled celery seed metheod, apparently it the celery juice that's used, however they caution celery seed juice is contains more nitrates than Prague Powder.
          I just watched a You Tube video where Harry Soo cures bacon with table salt and brown sugar in 10 Days so mulling that about.

Comment

I think there might be a Sportsman's Warehouse near your location. Check with them. In Chico, CA they carry it.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty sure they are US only.

Why can't you order the cure from Amazon and freeze the belly until you're ready to cure it?

Comment

That's the direction I've gone for now, plus the fact I'm not entirely in love with the nitrate thing.
              I know its in virtually everything we eat now but it gives me the heebie jeebies.
              That's why the Harry Soo video is looking like the way I may go....or burnt ends, haven't tried those yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here