Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate pig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ultimate pig!

Ok folks... Stop mining for nose gold and pay attention here.......
    You have eaten your ultimate Turkey now it's time to turn your attention to porky...

Been in the planning for a long time and finally decided I am going to do a trial run.
    BBQ class on the 23 December at Buller bar Buenos Aires

What am I talking about?? Ultimate pig?? Whats that??

Disclaimer*** Make sure you old timers have taken your heart pills before reading further......

A whole pig "Snout to tail" Made into bacon ,smoked,blasted with flame to crisp the skin then basted with smoked apple, jalapeño and peaches......

Going to use Meathead recipe for the bacon but would like some input from you folks here.

I am using a medium size pit so it will be about a 40lb (18kilos) to fit in the pit.
    10 days in the brine? Inject brine into the hams? Give the pig a labotomy?

Whadda think? Sound ok?

Bacon pig with crispy skin and smoked sauces on the side??
    Last edited by Ahumadora; November 29, 2019, 05:14 PM.

Dude, I'd think I'm pretty much good with whatever you decide....

Comment

Would worry about the difference in thickness with the shoulders and hams vs the belly and ribs and such. If anyone can do it, it's you.

Comment

Remove the brain and the entire spinal cord for safety.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          So just like has been done to every politician in the last 50 years

Sounds good but one of the "ultimate pigs" that I had was a traditional imu cooked kalua pig...or pua'a kalua...which pretty much translates into pig cooked under ground. Amazingly good.

I do a riff on Sam Choy and smoke a pork shoulder wrapped in ti leaves. (Available in pretty much every SE Asian market in SoCal.)
        The "riff" is that I smoke mine whereas he oven roasts his and uses liquid smoke. Mine is better. ;-) ROFL

Comment

Crown Royal for objectivity

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep I need to take a shot right now. Cooking it at a large brewery,, so I think beer maybe on the menu that day.

Agree with texastweeter you face some serious roadblocks due to the thickness of the hams and shoulders, the leanness of the loins and tenderloins. You'll need to inject the thick parts. I presume you plan a dry cure, so you need to vary the amount depending on the thickness. You also need to keep it cold. Then the smoking becomes an issue. Cold smoking poses a health risk. Not as spectacular but I would break it down and do each part separately. And don't skip the jowls.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Was thinking about opening up the inside of the hams a little or Injecting. Probably go about 7 days in the cure. Can use a big food grade plastic tub cling wrapped and the brewery has a large walk in freezer I can use. I plan to hot smoke it to 165f

You need to build yourself a large spit "braai" using a windscreen wiper motor as a drive.
          Not pressure for you to pull the cook off with your capabilities. It's your lobotomy skills that concern me☺

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here