Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham it up--double smoked spiral sliced hams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham it up--double smoked spiral sliced hams

Thanksgiving is when I do ham. Yeah, it's all spiral sliced, glazed and double smoked. I make both, a whole bone in ham and a boneless one. Have enough for the Thanksgiving dinner and then cut, wrap, and freeze the rest. We get to eat for the next 3-4 months or so. Here's the way it goes........

Double Smoked Spiral Ham with a Maple & Brown Sugar Mustard glaze is a super easy BBQ recipe that you can complete in less than 3 hours and eat all week long. I titled this recipe "double smoked" because just about every spiral ham I've ever bought claims to be smoked (although I certainly can't taste it).

To make this recipe you will need either a smoker or a charcoal grill set up for indirect cooking. (For this product, I use a Smoke Hollow electric smoker) Since the smoke time is relatively short (2-3 hours), you will want to monitor your cooker closely and really put the smoke on heavy.

I've included a basic recipe below for a simple, Southern style brown sugar glaze, but you could take the outside flavoring in any direction you want (fruit jam, jerk, etc.)

You will need an aluminum pan to put the ham in and to catch the glaze and juices so you can baste the ham. I prefer to baste the ham roughly every 20 minutes and add more wood chips at the same time. I monitor the internal temperature of the ham with a probe thermometer and shoot for an internal temp of 165-180 degrees.

Since we are working with a fully cooked product doneness really isn't an issue. What we really want to pay attention to is getting smoke on the product and building layers of flavor by basting frequently. For the glaze:
    · 1/2 cup maple syrup
    · 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    · 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
    · 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    · 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Simply combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat over low heat until fully incorporated.

Double Smoked Spiral Ham Recipe
    · 1 spiral ham
    · Complete the Maple Brown Sugar Mustard glaze recipe. Place in the pan as shown in picture. Apply all of the glaze to the ham, being sure to get glaze between the slices. Monitor the internal temperature of the ham. Target is 165-180 degrees, which should be achieved in two to three hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0137.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	774401
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0893.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	774402Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0128.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	774403Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0132.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	774404
    And that my friend, is how "I HAM IT UP!"

Excellent write up, spiral ham is a staple here for all holiday feasts.
    Up till now I have reheated them and applied the supplied glaze on my gasser.
    Will be giving this a go at Xmas this year when I will be doing the ham for the feast at my brothers, his turn to host...
    Be nice to serve something with a new twist instead of the same old fare.
    Last edited by smokin fool; November 29, 2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

This is a go to for us at holiday times too. I only shoot for 140 tho.

Comment

• chucks meats
        chucks meats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, 140 is fine. I just like a little more smoke and time to make the glaze a little "crusty".

Fantastic Sir.

Comment

Haven't done a ham in so long I almost forgot they exist. Nice write-up and photos, may have to give this a try as a secondary protein at Christmas.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here