Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon on the Pit Barrel Cooker

I decided to give pork belly a try for my second smoke. I cured 4, 1# slabs (following Meathead's Maple Bacon recipe) for 7 days. I was expecting the smoker temp to drop a lot when I added the meat, but it didn't, so it took some tinkering to get it from the 400 it was at, to the 225 that Meathead suggested. It ended up running pretty level at 250 but by that time the meat had warmed up quite a bit and the hit 150 at about 1:45 of cook time. The end result was good, it is definitely different from store bought bacon but it has some great flavor, my fiance loved it. The color didn't turn out the same as I've seen some other people get, I was expecting a darker caramel color with some crispy edges.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	76846 Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	76847

I need to do this over the summer......my wife loves bacon.

Comment

Did you install a thermometer into your pit Barrel Cooker?

Comment

I use a probe from my iGrill2 to watch the cooker temp. In the pic above it is clipped to one of the bars, I think the next time I will clip it to a spare hook so it is hanging at the same level as the meat.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          There's not a big difference in temp. I've hung half-way down a brisket, and near the lid. Nothing to make me care either way.

That's about the same color my bacon came out. Still enjoying it.

-Alden

Comment

That is some serious good looking bacon there! I sometimes will "paint" the slabs a time or two with maple syrup during the smoke/cook which may give you a little more color. Doesn't hurt the taste any either...

Comment

Nice. I did some bacon in the PBC a few weeks ago. Gave some to a friend I buy cheese from at the local farmer's market. He said it was the best he'd had in his life. I'll do another batch soon, but I'll probably look for a piece of belly where the fat to meat ratio isn't as insane as the last one.

Comment

Just started curing today. Five pound slab of mustard for sandwich. Five pound slab of maple for breakfast. Two and a half pound slab of Cajun to eat with peanuts as a bar snack. Other half slab just cooking for dinner tomorrow. Keeps me popular with friends.

Comment

oh thanks, now I want this bacon(... By the way, guys, I'm planning to buy bacon cooker, I've read that bacon made in bacon cooker(sorry for this pun) is far healthier and it doesn't imply fatty pans, which I liked the most, when reading. I'd like to hear some more feedback. Which Bacon Cooker have you tested and appreciated? What can you suggest? This article gave me a detailed view of the bacon cooker itself as a household item, however I'd like to hear from someone who is experienced in this. Thanks in advance.
                Last edited by connorbaker; June 10, 2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I’d eat it

Comment

My bacon looked pretty much identical. Tasted great so no worries!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here