Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To wrap or not to wrap... that is my question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I want some wibs bad.

Comment

Another one who never wraps. PBC...PBC...PBC. :-)

Comment

I prefer not wrapped, and certainly without all that sweet stuff. If you pull them in a timely way they aren’t dry. I do wrap a rack occasionally at the end after saucing for those that seem to need that. FWIW.

Comment

Cooked these yesterday @300f naked for 4 hs. After that it cooed off a bit so I put some clothes on
          Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            never fry bacon naked, unless you're more manly than me...

I usually don’t wrap, but sometimes I do. In general, they cook about the same either way, but I feel like I’m doing something when I wrap them.

St Louis or full racks, on a BGE or a Weber Kettle. No water with the BGE, S&S and water with the Kettle. I’ve settled on doing them at 240-260. The Kettle wants to run at 240 so I let it. 225 takes too long on the BGE.

I got no problems with baby backs, if they’re on sale I’ll get them. They’re ribs, they will be great.

Comment

I don’t wrap either for my PBC or SnS. For me, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle, and I have never had a dry rib problem (and I am very capable of fails producing dry meats on occasion). If I were to wrap, it would be only to cater to those that like the fall of the bone/braised rib texture or shooting for lots of additional flavor. When I want to make my life more complicated, I use a "cider squirt" spritz Reichlen published that does seem to improve the ribs, but it’s so slight It could be in my head. Most of the time, I leave them unwrapped and unmolested, sauce at the end and they turn out great.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              I like unmolested.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I hate eating molested food.

Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I don't. I'm not locked into either method. The deciding factor for me is usually when I have one rack that is quite a bit thicker than the other(s). If I want them all done at the same time, I'm probably going to need to wrap the thicker one (I'm way too lazy to just start the thick one sooner ).

Comment

I never wrap. Pit temps between 225 and 250. I always use a water pan. They always come out great. Never dry.

Comment

I never wrap St. Louis or regular pork ribs. Baby Back Ribs I quit cooking many years ago as you might as well buy loin ribs. They are full of fat and juices. I use a dry rub of paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, various hot peppers, Mexican oregano, thyme and other herbs you might like. The first step for ribs is to dry brine the ribs overnight with a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per pound of salt since there are bones it is up to you how much salt you add but no more than 1/2 teaspoon. per pound. You have it brined overnight this will help keep them moist. Put the rub on and put them on the grill at 250 -275 until done.

Good luck and best wishes.

Comment

If I'm doing dry ribs I don't wrap. If I am saucing I wrap for about an hour. I find I like dry ribs best but family and friends all like sauced wet ribs. When I wrap I add some apple juice or Pineapple juice. Also brush with sauce. Sometimes lightly sprinkle with turbinado sugar. I have never added margarine or butter.

People love them so I keep making them that way (wrapped).

When I made ribs for the grad party, like 12 racks, I pulled them early brushed with sauce, cut them up, and put in aluminum pans. I then finished the next morning in the oven. Came out great.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Old Glory; November 12, 2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
                    If I'm doing dry ribs I don't wrap. If I am saucing I wrap for about an hour. I find I like dry ribs best but family and friends all like sauced wet ribs. When I wrap I add some apple juice or Pineapple juice. Also brush with sauce. Sometimes lightly sprinkle with turbinado sugar. I have never added margarine or butter.

People love them so I keep making them that way (wrapped).

When I made ribs for the grad party, like 12 racks, I pulled them early brushed with sauce and put in aluminum pans. I then finished the next morning in the oven. Came out great.
                    Finishing in the oven is a great idea.

Comment

225°-ish (225-235), dry rub like Last Meal or something similar.
                      No water pan (even when I had the WSM) and I don’t wrap.
                      I prefer St. Louis cut.

Seeing as I prefer a dry rub, I rarely sauce on the smoker but have it available for those that want it. Most people think they want it until they try the ribs.,,then they’re sold on just the rub.

Comment

Almost never wrap.

Comment

I never wrap but using a PBC is like wrapping in a drum. pbc, pbc, pbc……..

Comment

• ScottyC13
                            ScottyC13 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            For some reason, I really have a hankering to buy a PBC and I don’t know why.😄

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here