Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY Pork Shoulder HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMERGENCY Pork Shoulder HELP!

started smoking a 20# Snake River Farms Korobuta bone in shoulder last night about 6PM. Started at 225 degrees and all was fine until 10:30PM when I checked the smoker. Smoker temp was still 225 but I didnt check pork temp because I knew it was at least a 16 hour cook. At 1AM I went to check it and the smoker temp was 54 degrees and meat temp was 95 degrees. I immediately put the pork in the oven at 225 and its still in there now. if the meat rose to 150 or 160 and then fell back to 95 am I at risk for bacteria even thought now I am cooking it until it reaches 203 degrees? I am reading that at 165 nearly all bacteria is killed??

Your'e fine. Was only between 10:30 pm to 1am. Bang it up to 275f at least and git r dun.

Comment

You would be at risk when it fell back to 95* but if you go forward to 203* that will take care of things. I've smoked three of those Kurobota butts and love them. Good luck with the rest of the cook, show us a picture of the result !!

Comment

You'll likely be ok as it wasn't likely in the danger zone for too long, but the general advice is "when in doubt, throw it out." Also your post is likely to be moved as this channel really isn't the right place for your topic.
        Huskee

Comment

The pork will be fine. What happened with the smoker?

Comment

thanks. I knew I didnt post in the right area but I havent posted for years and couldnt find the right area. Smoker is a Traeger Timberline and honestly I dont know. Was more worried about the pork than the smoker. Will probably check out the smoker this afternoon and try to figure it out. I will post a pic when its done, still in the oven and temp is about 190.
          Last edited by mklaer; November 1, 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries, I moved it to the right spot. Thanks for your years of support. Good to hear from you. Let us know how the pork turned out.

Glad you asked and were answered in a timely fashion. I know a few times I’ve had that fleeting feeling and posted a question. Hearing what you thought sure puts you at ease.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here