Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Canadian Bacon Recipe Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Canadian Bacon Recipe Question

I am about to try Meathead's Canadian Bacon recipe for the first time and was curious if anyone thinks there would be any issues with using dark brown sugar instead of regular sugar? The only thing I thought that might complicate things is that the brine would be dark brown and not relatively clear. I wouldn't be able to tell if the brine got cloudy due to contamination.
    Thanks for your help! I don't post much but read often. The information shared here has really improved my skills and for that I thank you all!

I have used both the dark and normal brown and did not notice any significant difference. I am unable to find real maple syrup so I used a mix of 40/60 fake maple to honey. I only use pure honey now without the syrup. I'm sure real maple would give it a unique flavour profile.
    My brine looks cloudy irrespective of sugar used and don't bother using the more expensive dark brown anymore. My comments are based on the sugar we get in SA.

Comment

It really isn't going to make any difference to the brine at all. If you have an excellent palate, you maybe able to tell the difference in the flavour profile when you're done, I can't. Even if you use white sugar, your brine isn't going to be clear.

Comment

Use either sugar. You will like the Canadian Bacon.

Comment

No problem at all. Dark brown has just a touch more molasses added to it than regular. I really can't tell much difference in flavor.

Comment

I would just use regular white sugar. I just smoked some Canadian bacon yesterday after a 2 week cure and it’s delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here