Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Hocks uncooked - how to - help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Hocks uncooked - how to - help!!

I have got several raw pork hocks that I want to smoke, (yes, they were cheap, so I bought several. Does anybody have any advice on how to best smoke these? Do I inject, (and if so, what?). Do I just keep putting on the smoke and heat for a long time?? Should I use a rub??

Been trying to get a hold of those for quite a while, but they are becoming the next popular thing so they are hard to come by or expensive around here. By expensive I mean they are like $5 a pound and as you know it is not all meat. That said, I haven't been able to get any to cook myself, but have eaten them at a local joint and they are really good. It may help your search to know that they are referred to now as pig wings or pork wings.

I like Malcom Reed so here is a link to him making them, which is probably what I would follow if I had some.

Comment

Hey KC, A lot of folks wet brine them with a brine of salt, pink salt and sugar. I dry brine them for a couple of days with just salt and put them right on the smoker with no rub at 225 till they hit 150. The ones in the pic had about 8oz of chips in the beginning in two 4oz doses.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 3, 2015, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• kcbill13
        kcbill13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, that was what I was looking for, I'll try dry brining them. I am happy to see so many Australian butchers not knowing what to do with them, so they go cheap at some supermarkets here. And I love the Australian/Asian butchers low prices on ribs in some areas. I'll post up pics once I do hocks. Thanks again!

Here are the results from the dry brine method. I personally am not after them for eating, but to use in other recipes for side dishes.

Attached Files

Comment

Have you try any of those hocks in beans Jon N Solberg
        Last edited by DWCowles; December 29, 2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Sir. They made some fine pintos

Welcome to The Pit kcbill13! I don't think I've gotten to formally welcome you yet. I know nothing of pork hocks so let's be glad it's not just me in here!

Since this is one of your first posts, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit kcbill13!

Comment

Welcome kcbill13

Comment

Wow Bill those look really good. I'd eat them!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here