Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy Ribs Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blasphemy Ribs Attempt

I had to try this after reading about them here and listening to the podcast. Cut up a rack of baby backs. I had some Memphis Dust in the cupboard, so that is what I used. Overnight in the ziplock, tumbled around once in awhile. Fired up the MAK with CookinPellets Perfect Mix pellets. The MAK is great at holding temps which fits the timed cook requiremetn pretty well.

The sauce I used comes from a market in Cardiff By The Sea down near San Diego. Their signature meat is a trip-tip marinated in a vacuum tumbler for many hours. It is called "Cardiff Crack" because once you start eating it, there's no stopping! I have made it at home, but on our gasser, not smoked. Indirect to get to almost desired temp, then high heat to sear. OMG! But I digress - they also make their own sauce, which is excellent. Sweet with a tang to it similar to Famous Dave's Zesty.

T
    he ribs come out very tender, good bark and a good bite. Definitely not a "fall-off-the-bone" cook. Here pics of the ribs getting ready to go on, after the 2.25 hours and a cut of one of the smaller ones. My only criticism of this cook is that I over-rubbed the ribs. Instead of a light dusting, which I think I would have preferred, these were pretty coated.

the order of the pictures came out backwards. The first is a pic of sliced open, finished rib. The second is the uncooked, rubbed ribs and the 3rd is from when I flipped the ribs to sauce the undersides.
    Attached Files

That's a great looking cook, and that's how I like them as well. I can prove it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	STL BB's.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	760582

Shocking, I know, but I haven't done blasphemy ribs with a full rack yet. I hope I remember next time I get an extra meaty rack to do that.

I lived in Leucadia for 25 years - I know the place in Cardiff well, at least when I was there back in the day there was only one BBQ place in Cardiff.

Comment

I think you should change the title of your topic to "Blasphemy Ribs Success" since that's sure what it looks like to me. They look great.

At least with MMD if you overdo the rub, you don't overdo salt. That's a nice bennie of that recipe.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; October 24, 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Look amazing! Send me a plate!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Truly amazing looking ribs!

Comment

Thanks all! For a relatively newbie with smoking, this recipe and method is a great find. Straightforward, easy and tasty as all heck.

As Kathryn points out, the Memphis Dust has no salt, so works great for heart diet sensitive people like me.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll have to look for the Memphis Dust, I brought a bottle of Hogwaller and while I like the taste the salt content is just too much for me.
                Guess I coulda read the label but who does that?!?!

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                Memphis dust is a Meathead recipe. My modified version is included in the Blasphemy Ribs recipe.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here