Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt wrapping - Butcher Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt wrapping - Butcher Paper

I do not normally wrap butts when I cook them. When I have the bark seems to come out really soft and almost slimy sometimes.

I cooked my first brisket over the weekend and wrapped in butcher paper. Decided to do a test and weapped one of the butts I was cooking in butcher paper also. The bark on the butt was great, stayed solid but was not crunchy like I normally get when not wrapping.

Also, the butt was moister than the ones that were not wrapped.

How come you don't hear more about wrapping butts in butcher paper...it seems like almost everyone uses foil on butts???

Chris

It's probably as simple as foil is much more readily available and cheaper than untreated butcher paper. Plus, foil is just what most people have always used, so they go with that.

Comment

If I wrap a butt, I use butcher paper. I don’t wrap anything in foil, if I wrap it’s always butcher paper.

Comment

I think you answered your own question. It is the consistency of the bark. Some like the crispy bark others the softer bark. It is a matter of preference. I am a crispy side, maybe you should start a poll. Foil to me is a no-no also.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 23, 2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I only wrap at the end of the cook. I use butcher paper. It is way cheaper and I think it saves the bark.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here