Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 1st Pork Butt - What'd I do right vs. wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all for a ton of great advice. Such a no brainer to mix the jus back in when shredding. Can't believe I didn't think of that . I didn't take any pictures of this cook. Meant to. Will remember next time.

I believe the butt was definitely too lean. I was surprised how lean it was when I bought it. Will seek out untrimmed ones in the future to make my own.

I think my fixation on making my timing led to too many issues. Wrapping before the actual stall started, cranking the heat up etc.

On the next one, I'm gonna go unwrapped and wait the stall out and make sure I remember to do the fork test. I really didn't even think about the how easily the probe was going in and out either. I'm also tempted to buy a whole bone-in butt, but I'm usually only cooking for two. Do they sell bone-in but cut down to less than 8 lbs?

Someone mentioned monitoring the heat while holding. Do any of you do this? And what numbers are you watching for? Just making sure it doesn't drop below a certain point?

Thanks again to everyone for great advice and a great welcome to the community.

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      There’s nothing wrong with a trimmed butt. There should still be lots of marbling and collagen. You don’t want any exterior fat on your butt, it will keep the rub and smoke away from the meat.

I often cook Pulled Pork for two and start by cutting an 8 lb butt in half. I still smoke both halves though. I divide the butt so there is more surface area for that tasty rub, which helps a lot to flavor the pulled pork. If they're the same thickness as the 8 lb butt, they don't cook any faster though, since cook time is often more dependent on thickness than on weight.

When we've had our fill of the first PP dinner and leftovers, I vacuum seal the rest of the PP in 1 lb portions and tuck them in the freezer. Perfect for future tacos, nachos, posole, crescent roll appetizers (a riff on this recipe), PP sammies, etc.

Kathryn

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      We did freeze some off. Don't have a vacuum sealer but I followed someone's tip to coat some sauce on the meat before freezing to protect from freezer burn. Will try some out this weekend. Thanks much.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      Freezing leftovers FTW!!!

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      Just had to add that that the leftovers we're awesome. Freezing them with some sauce on them a bonus. Defrosted in the microwave then just left them in the ziploc and moved them around in a pan of not-boiling water for a minute or two to get even heat into them and they were good to go. chilaquiles or other breakfast applications FTW!

Welcome from California!

Butt was the first "real" barbecue I made, and it continues to be my test cook for any new cooker. I’ve made a couple boneless butts. The danger lies in the fact that it’s easy to trim too much fat - which is what sounds like happened to you. Bone-in shoulders are all I cook now. The extra fat really helps with moisture. I also trim to leave a 1/4”+ of fat all around.

I never wrap butts, but always use a water pan. They come out looking like meteorites, but are delicious, moist, and tender. Without wrapping they take 14+ hours, but it’s worth every second.

Dry brining and liberal use of (a modified) Memphis Dust give me the flavor I’m after. I’ll use a small amount of avocado oil as a binder (avo oil is about the only oil I use to cook with anymore). I cook at ~250°F with an oak fire.

So, what’s the short answer to moist butt? Lots of fat and a water pan!

Looking forward to hearing about the results of your next cook!

Comment

• ajgrills
      ajgrills commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm on board. Can you help me understand the benefits of a water pan? And do you get good drippings/jus from underneath the butt while it cooks?

Originally posted by ajgrills View Post
    I'm also tempted to buy a whole bone-in butt, but I'm usually only cooking for two. Do they sell bone-in but cut down to less than 8 lbs?

Someone mentioned monitoring the heat while holding. Do any of you do this? And what numbers are you watching for? Just making sure it doesn't drop below a certain point?
    Pulled pork is the most versatile BBQ item I make - you can put it in an omelette or burrito, re-fry it to make carnitas for tacos, make sandwiches, put it in a stir fry with some veggies, make nachos - the sky is the limit. It is also the most re-heatable BBQ item in my opinion, and handles freezing the best. I vacuum seal 1 to 2 pound portions of pulled pork all the time, and drop in the deep freeze. Pull it out and usually reheat in the bag, then open it - you can still smell the smoke! . Before I had a vacuum sealer I used zip lock bags, but those can allow frost to build up. I still use them in a pinch.

So, don't worry that you are cooking for just two, and look at it as you are "meal prepping" in advance. My married kids are all into the meal prepping things, and cook for their Monday through Friday meals on Sunday afternoons.

As far as monitoring a hold temp - I don't hold the butts in faux cambro normally like I would a brisket, as I don't feel they need it. Your key concern is not to hold it below 140F. If it gets wrapped in foil and a towel and is in a good cooler - I've seen brisket drop from 205 to 160 in 5 hours - about 10 degrees an hour when insulated like that. A butt should be similar. But like I said, I shred mine pretty quickly after they come off the smoker, using meat claws, and my fingers to pick out any bits of gristle and eat my reward of tasty bark bits.

I know you are working on timing for having the pork for a meal. Until you have done a few and know what the timing is, I suggest just planning 12 to 14 hours, with a couple hour buffer before meal time. If it gets done sooner, pull the pork and hold it in camber or a warm 170F oven.

Also an untrimmed bone-in butt with a normal amount of fat can take a lot of heat, but I try to keep mine in the 225 to 275 range.

Comment

You picked the right place to ask advice, Ive had many cooks both at home and competition not go my way and the great people here didn’t hesitate to help me.

A couple things you can try that I don’t think were mentioned:

Personally I would not have put the pork back on, the bark should be set before you wrap.

If you do wrap, when its finished let it vent for 15 min or so before you put it in the cooler or cambro to rest. The pork will continue to cook if you don’t. I try to get it to 180 or so before i put it in the cooler.

While the pork butt is cooking spray it every hour or so especially if you decide not to wrap. Apple, white grape, or pineapple work great with a little water. The sugars help with the bark.

Inject it the night before, i do it while its still in the cryovac. It’s an extra step that takes only 5 minutes. Don’t make my mistakes and over complicate it, apple juice and purified or distilled water will be fine.

Lastly, the pork butt is full of fat and is a forgiving meat in my opinion. Depending on what smoker you have, Don’t be afraid to do the full cook 275-300 if you keep it moist.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Now why didn't I think to inject meat in cryovac, as long as it's trimmed the way I want. Might keep the stuff from squirting up into my face and hair. Good idea!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here