Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Perplexity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Perplexity

I'm fortunate enough to buy whole pork belly from one of the butcher's I shop at. The size / weight is not that consistent but come in at about 13# on average . I've gotten pretty good with the butchering thing and enjoy doing it most of the time. Deboning is easy the crackling is a pain in the butt or should that be belly.

So the dilemma is when I cut the spares from the belly I aim for maximum meat off the bone for making bacon. Then I'm left with spares that everyone agrees should have more meat on.
    Now if there's more meat on the ribs then there's less bacon and vice versa. See what I mean.

Managed to butcher one of the 2 bellies before load shedding (stage 2 so electricity is off for 2 hours twice a day).
    Not that I need an excuse to throw something at the kettle but the idea to sit outside in the dark and get some council from the cooker while a whole belly does what it needs to do was a good plan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_181758.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	756917

Most spare rib meat comes from between the ribs. Very little is on top. Like you say you have a dilemma. I have my butcher leave only a 1/16 inch on top and that leaves plenty for the belly to make bacon from. As far as the skin I use a filet knife and hold it against the skin at a moderate angle, it comes off pretty easily that way since it is so tough. I use a sort of sawing motion.

Comment

Ohh pork belly.. the fabulous pork belly!! I have been waiting for the cooked pics for a while..

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Finished up just after midnight and no photos. Going to slice today and fry up the rashers on the flattop and serve on buns. Will take pics of I get a gap.

I’m able to get whole belly already de-boned but with the skin on. I remove the skin just because I’ve never been able to get it to cook right consistently. I remove it by getting on end started then poking a hole at each edge and inserting hooks and hanging it by the skin. Seems to make it easier for me and makes for a nicer looking product in the end.

Comment

Backroadmeats after slicing before flattop finish. Was excellent with a bacon like finish.

​
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_121757.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	757220
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          There we go!!! Looks yummy..

Looks like you need a 26" Weber. or maybe a PBC

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear a whisper somewhere but didn't hear.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here