Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon the not so spicy addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon the not so spicy addition

I usually mise and place but did not when getting a batch of bacon ready last weekend. I realised that I did not have any peppercorns for the recipe.
    I went ahead and bagged it and had every intention of adding the pepper when I got round to getting some.
    When I opened the bags yesterday to smoke them I realised I omitted to do as I had intended. I don't think it's going to be a travesty but still a tad disappointed.
    It has bothered me a bit everytime I opened the fridge and saw they looked unfinished without the freckles.
    What I think I should have done yesterday was just sprinkle some on before the cook.
    Bit late now she cried.

Anyways I'm on my way to the butcher to pick me up some more whole bellies to make bacon some burnt ends and spares.

Just add 'em when you smoke 'em!

Comment

I see no reason why you couldn't just add pepper at the table. But ya might want to smoke the pepper first.

Comment

Now you have flexibility. :-)

I always just cure with the salts because I have different intentions for the final product/application.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point.

It will still be great. Can’t really go wrong with homemade bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here