Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Pork Shoulder Cook Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Pork Shoulder Cook Time

My wife and I are empty-nesters, so a full pork shoulder would last us until the Zombie Apocalypse. That being said, if I cook a smaller shoulder, should I expect a proportionate cook time?

I have done many butts in the oven using a dutch oven but this would be the first on my Weber Performer. I usually did 275F in the oven and it took 5-6 hours for a 5 pound butt.

I want to set up the Weber at 225-250 with the SnS and DigiQ. I have a 2.5 pound shoulder (no bone) in the freezer and can use this for testing. I just want to get a sense of time for it. I understand that thickness is more of a factor than weight too. I have hickory and apple wood chunks to use. I have my own rub, but may use Meathead's Memphis dust for the cook just to try it out. I will wrap it in twine too.

I am leaning toward wrapping at the stall because I like bark, but not too chewy, but may just go without to test. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

I usually smoke shoulders and/or butt's at 275-300 as that seems to be my Kegs wheelhouse.
    Time is time, try to get it on the grill by 9:30-10:00 with the stall and wrapping in foil at 180 usually it hits 200-205 by 5:00 to 6:00.
    Many variables in this smoking game so this may or may not what your smoke looks like.
    Good luck.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks.

It will probably take around 8 hours. Cooking it in a Dutch Oven will cause it to cook faster as the lid helps to prevent surface cooling.

Cooking on the Weber is a different ball game. I would shoot for about 275 F on the kettle and let it roll to about 170 F. Then give it a wrap. You can start checking for bark when you get to the stall and wrap by color. Once you have what you like, then you are good.

The temp will rise pretty quick when you wrap it. Make sure you take time to wrap in a towel and throw it in the faux cambro for a good long hold.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      8hrs for a 2.5lb shoulder?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Total Time with a hold in Cambro. Plus, once again, it is more about thickness than weight. mountainsmoker

Yes definitely smoke your small butt at 275-300. We are also empty nesters. I will do a full sized pork butt and freeze planned overs up in meal sized packages. This is one meat that freezes really well. Pork butt is one meat that does not need to be wrapped due to all the fat in it, but if you do wait till it comes out of the stall, don't go by any temp.

As far as time I would estimate 4-5 hours at 275-300 degrees.

Good luck and let us know how the cook goes.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

What the others said. 250-275 on the kettle will be perfect. I think you'll cook it shy of 8 hours, since it's a small cut. No need for the butcher's twine. But: you're gonna have to wrap it. A small cut like that (I've done many of them) dries out a little more than bigger pork butts, so wrapping is essential. Do exactly like Spinaker says:

"You can start checking for bark when you get to the stall and wrap by color."

That advice is golden. And the faux cambro is key too. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks all!

ScottyC13 I do not know why some of these guys are saying 8hrs for your 2.5lbs of meat. I can do that for a 5-6 lb pork butt or shoulder with a temp of 275-300. Since this is experimental for you, start for about 5 hours and plan to Cambro it for 3 hours. A 2.5lb piece will have very little stall time just not enough meat to get water that a larger piece has. Again wrap it when the stall ends and take it up to 195. Just keep an eye on it.

Good luck and good eating.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I would think the smaller piece would cook faster.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It also matters greatly what cooker you are using. ScottyC13 On the BGE at 225 F, it would cook for 10+ hours.

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker. I think for the first cook, I will expect longer and just hold if it cooks faster.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here