Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cut is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cut is this?

My wife bought this and asked me to cook 'em.
    I checked out Pork Cuts Explained and I'm still not sure if they're pork loin or ribs. Also… boneless ribs?

Anybody know what I can do with them?
    Attached Files

I suspect it is what they call here "pork loin rib end." It is from the thin end of the loin and should have and small rib bones along one side.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; October 5, 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Looks like loin cut into riblike strips. Cook like chops.

Comment

My guess would be that it is a sliced pork shoulder.

Backroadmeats would probably have a better idea.

Comment

Well ... the label on the package says "boneless country ribs" ...

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            My bad.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 - not your bad at all.

Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula). I had to look it up.. maybe that helps ?? Good luck let's see what ya can cook up.

Comment

The label says pork loin. Looks like a cut up loin to me. You can smoke it low and slow if you want, but don’t take it past 145 IT.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              I know.. it says pork loin value pack boneless country ribs.. seems to me to have two cuts on the label.. huh

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Backroadmeats I’m not the expert that you are on meat cuts, but my understanding of country style ribs is that they’re a combination of loin and shoulder. Some are heavier on shoulder meat and some are heavier on loin meat. The package in the OP just looks like a sliced loin to me.

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Red Man these retail cuts can be confusing.. I have never cut country style ribs.. I just cut custom processing.. but it does look like a pork loin to me also

They are boneless Country Style Ribs popular both here in NC and in Iowa where we have property. The light portion is from the loin and the dark portion from the butt. When we are in IA we will eat them a lot. I just put a pork rub on them and smoke them slowly on my gas grill out there with some apple wood. I cook them to 145 a nice medium rare - medium.

I should point out that the ones we had in Iowa this fall were primarily loin, about 6" long and 2" square. Some times they are bigger and have more butt meat in them.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 5, 2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what confused me. It said "pork loin", but also country ribs.

I'm familiar enough with pork loin and this did not seem as lean as pork loin is.

I cooked them low and slow until about 150 and then finished them off on the grill. Worked pretty well. I put out sauce in anticipation that the family would need it, but they actually liked it with just a basic rub.

Thanks for the comments!

Comment

I remember seeing here something like if you can, look for country style ribs that are a majority of either the dark or light meat. Than cook accordingly to that type.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here