Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

at the risk of personal injury....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at the risk of personal injury....

PLEASE don't throw things (or if you do, make sure they are made of pork). I need some advice. Smoked off the latest batch of bacon. STILL love it. HWMO is wondering how and why Hormel has been lying to him all his life. then again, he had never tasted anything that wasn't seasoned form a McCormick envelope till he met me.

Anyway, I need more salt. my bacon is simply not as salty as I would like it (or my doc would like it, FTM). so, how do you amp up the salt flavor? I know the answer seems simple, increase the salt in the cure. but, I have seen that backfire. there are some things that do not taste like there is more even if you add more. so, do I add more salt to the cure or lessen anything else in the rest of the cure?

I prefer to amp up the salt in the form of sea salt at serving, whatever it is.

Seal salt for the large particles.

Comment

I tried that this am, but used my smoke salt instead of the sea salt. put a bit on the bacon slices before cooking, then, salted my bacon when it came off the skillet. Meathead and the friends of the pit have created a monster. I was without bacon for three days. I wasn't sure I was going to make it and it was touch and go for a while. thankfully, bacon yesterday and a goodly hunk of pig today had made all well.

Thanks, Jerod, that has absolutely done the trick. and it also means I don't have to have separate, marked bacon packages. You remember Jack Spratt? Well, we're a touch close to that one. Denver could eat no salt, his wife could eat no bland...

Comment

Nothing I can't stand more is to buy Cheez-Its (NOT the low Sodium kind), and have NO side of any of the "Its" with enough salt to excite my receptors on my tongue. I just need ONE side for that. Blatant false advertisement with those enlarged pictures of salt laced "Its" on the cover of the box, I say.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here