Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Meat to Cook For A Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Meat to Cook For A Crowd

I have a party coming up for around 35 adults and 10 kids. There will be fruit and veggie platters and shrimp served. I volunteered to do brisket and pork for wraps. I have a 17 lb packer brisket on hand to smoke. I'm going to pick up some Boston Butts. Meathead says he estimates 1 LB of uncooked butt per person but I think that might be too much given the other food. Any suggestions?

With the other foods, you probably can cut back on the butts. I would personally just do two typical 8 pound butts with all the other stuff. That said, pulled pork freezes and reheats very well, so leftover pork is never a bad thing - it makes for quick meals down the road.

Comment

2 nice pork butts should get you plenty of meat protein.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
        Oakgrovebacon commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfmorris beat me to that, I was watching a ballgame.

Agree with the others. The brisket and 2 8lb butts should be plenty. Maybe throw on some hotdogs for the kids. Depending on age.

Comment

I did up 2 14 pound briskets and about 24 chicken thighs for a pot luck of about 30 people. Had some left over.

Comment

I say max out the pits. Good or bad it'll be a great story to look back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            I say max out the pits. Good or bad it'll be a great story to look back on.
            Agreed! Butts are not that expensive, you already have the pit lit, so why not! 1/2 pound of finish per person is a great rule of thumb, so 16.5 pounds. Your brisket will finish at 6 or so, so 11 pounds of finished pork is two butts +-. Did I mention that leftover pulled pork is fantastic?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              You said it Paul. And you know how to feed a crowd!

Thank you all for your replies. I went with 20 lb of butt, 17 lb prime brisket. There will be shrimp plus veggie and fruit platters and we're doing pizza for the kiddies. Oh and it's being held in a Brew Pub with great beers on tap

Comment

Address ?

Comment

I usually plan on about a 1/2 lb per person. Some will eat more and some will eat less. Plus you have sides as well.

Comment

Sounds like some people are going to be treated to an amazing meal, and definitely a bonus for being at a brew pub! Hope you share some photos of it. (I also hope that you don't have time to take photos, because of spending good time with friends)

Comment

Sounds like it should be an awesome time! Enjoy! For shoulders and brisket I usually figure 3/4# per person, raw weight. I've never run short and usually have a few left overs. With ribs I figure 3 people per full rack.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here