Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork rib roast - wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork rib roast - wow!

Every now and then I cook something that makes me go ’wow’. Today was such a day. I wanted pork chops, and bought them at my local butcher’s. But instead of single pork chops, I bought a rack of ’em. I call this a pork rib roast, because that is what it is. Bone-in pork chops, 4-5 ”in a row”. When I saw it in the counter I just knew I had to get it. And to smoke it as-is, instead of cutting it up into individual chops.

So that’s what I did. Take a second to marvel at the fat cap on this bad boy. The skin was trimmed off, but luckily not the fat cap. Man, that’s gonna taste good! So I did a very simple cook. I scored the fat cap in a cross-hatch pattern (1 inch distance). I applied liberal amounts of herbs (3 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp rosemary, 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp lemon pepper).

Beautimous!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork-rib-roast-raw.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	748475

Scored fat cap (bones facing down)

Name:	pork-rib-roast-scored.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	748476

Herb rub applied

Name:	pork-rib-roast-rub.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	748477

Once it had sat in the fridge for a few hours I smoked it on my Big Green Egg for 2 hours. Grill temp was 150° C / 300° F. I was aiming for 60° C / 140° F target temp in the meat. Once I hit target temp I seared it for < 1 minute. I was real wary of the fat burning, so I just added some color real quick. I brought the roast in to the kitchen and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing.

That was just about the best pork (chops) I’ve ever had. So incredibly juicy and tasty! I loved the crusty herb surface on the outside as well as the succulent pork meat in the middle.

Absolutely delicious!!

Name:	pork-rib-roast.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	748478

I’m gonna buy this on the regular, because this was nothing short of amazing. And such a simple cook! That was a good 'note to self': do less :-)

I'm publishing the YouTube video next week, but wanted to share it with you here first.

Alright folks, Hank is over and out, have an amazing weekend!

Looks fabulous! Thank you for the details!

Comment

Okay, now I'm really hungry.

Comment

That looks amazing and a fun simple thing to do. I like the "do less" approach.

Comment

Wow! I did a similar cut once after an overnight wet brine and it was crazy good. Need to do that again!

Comment

Why you keep making the rest of feel like mortals?
            Once again great looking cook Henrik.

Comment

Beautiful cook.

Comment

Super cook!! Now you got me hungry. Lucky I stopped off and picked up a tri tip to sear for dinner. Great way to do that pork rack

Comment

That looks super.

Comment

Man that looks good. Did you serve thick like chops or slice thinner like a roast?

Comment

WoWee

Comment

That looks spectacular. Envious.

Comment

Thanks fellas! The whole piece weighed 6.5 lbs. I served it with tzatziki and potato wedges. I cut thick (1 inch) slices as I was going for pork chops.

Comment

Henrik there is nothing better than a whole pork rib section done like that. Smoked with your favorite herbs and favorite pork wood. You made me hungry as soon as I saw it. You guys are killing me. I have a 5-6lb one in the freezer I am going to have to do when I get home from vacation. Even if I don't gain any weight here, I will when I get home.

Note to you cook to 145 F, no more. That is 62.777777777778 C.

Comment

• Henrik
                              Henrik commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You’re gonna love it! I took mine to 140 F. Purrfect :-)

Looks amazing! Great photos.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here