Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brine ribs with salt or rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine ribs with salt or rub?

I've often questioned myself if I should dry brine with kosher salt and apply rub just before cooking or just use the rub for the dry brine.

I really like the flavor and color I get from Killer Hogs. Salt is the third ingredient in this rub and I would think this would do for dry brine.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Dave

If your rub has plenty of salt in it then go ahead and put it on ahead of time. If the rub is salt-free then I like to dry brine and apply the rub just before the ribs hit the smoker.

Comment

What Attjack said. Since most commercial rubs contain a lot of salt, if I use them then I use them to dry-brine.

I figure you can always add salt to the end product but you can't take it away if it's too salty.

Mostly, though, I like making my own rubs or injections so I know how much salt is in it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed.

Oh btw Kathryn on a side note. Thanks for helping me stay out of the dog house. 😂😂😂😂

I also love the Killer Hogs rub. It has become my go to for pork.
      Since ribs are so thin compared to other cuts like butts, chuckies and such. I don’t salt them. I give them a good rub the night before and hit them up with another round about an hour before hitting the smoker.

Comment

Agree. I put the rub on the ribs first thing in the morning of the cook. I don't think ribs need a long brine. Our fav store bought rubs have salt.

Comment

I don't think I have never used a store-bought rub.

Comment

If I’m using a manufactured rub I will put it on the night before and then usually hit it with a bit more before it goes on the smoker.

Comment

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice. One thing I like about Killer Hog is that the first 2 ingredients are sugar and brown sugar. Just enough salt to compliment the sweet. And it makes a great brine for pork.

Comment

I mentioned Hog Waller on another thread about dry rubs.
                Really enjoyed the taste but very salty.
                Nutrition facts label said it over 30% salt....I gotta start reading things, wife's still cheesed at me!
                I usually put rub on an hour before I put meat on the smoker

Comment

I'm just not very creative when it comes to making my own rub. Strange because I managed to come up with my own sauce.

Comment

I pulled a dry rub recipe off the food network website that I liked as a base recipe.
                    The best part about this is you can tweak it however you want.
                    It can be the same every time or never the same twice.

Comment

Kinda like what I did with my sauce. Took a basic recipe and twerked it some.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh no! My mind's eye can't unsee you twerkng your sauce! 🤣

I always use home-made, salt-free rubs and dry brine with salt only for an hour or so before smoking. Usually something like this:
                      --> Trim and clean the ribs
                      --> Dry brine (1/4 tsp per pound)
                      --> Lug the darn PBC out of the garage and start the chimney
                      --> Rub the ribs
                      --> Dump the coals and let it sit with the lid off for 10
                      --> Lid on, rebar out for 10
                      --> Get distracted by something shiny
                      --> Throw a handful or two of wood chips on the coals and hang the ribs

Usually about an hour or sitting with the salt, the last 30 minutes or so with the rub on too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbloto View Post
                        Took a basic recipe and twerked it some.
                        Could you expand? Do you bottle it and stick it in your back pocket?

Comment

Originally posted by Mbloto View Post
                          Took a basic recipe and twerked it some.
                          You won't hear this in the Pit very often ... but, please ... no pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here