Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fourth time doing pork tenderloins, finally nailed it. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourth time doing pork tenderloins, finally nailed it. :)

I haven't done pork tenderloins in awhile as the past several times they've either turned out too smoky or they just weren't....I don't know...working for me. Still, they are a fast cook.

Tonight I did a variation on Malcom Reed's Pork Tenderloin Sliders: https://howtobbqright.com/2017/09/08...rloin-sliders/

Used my Weber 22" with SnS. I nailed it, absolutely nailed it. So good.

This was also the first time I've used cherry, which may become my go-to wood. It's a very mild smoke flavor, which I really liked. (Contrast that to the first time I did pork tenderloins and used hickory -- and way too much hickory -- and it was like eating smoke.)

I ran my Kettle hotter than I wanted to, between 315 and 360 the entire cook, but the tenderloins turned out fine. I also pulled them right at 145, which, while also being the USDA safe temp, also seems to be the perfect sweet spot between doneness and moisture.

While Malcom's habanero glaze is very good, it is a bit on the sweet side for me and also the heat was unexpectedly mild, even with a large diced habanero in it. I used store-bought coleslaw instead of making my own and the coleslaw really is a great balance to the jerk/habanero seasonings and glaze.

Definitely will make again, perhaps with a glaze slightly less sweet (may substitute dark rum or something for brown sugar) and a bit more heat.

(And, sigh....one of these days I'm remember to put a silly drip pan in my grill under meat is that dripping sticky sauce!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	746634

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	746633

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	746632

Looks fabulous.. love the coleslaw on the sandwich.. next time make Meathead creamy coleslaw and chop up some garlicy Dill pickles instead of the pickle relish.. AMAZING coleslaw

Comment

Wow that looks great.

Comment

Oh my I love pork tenderloin. My preferred wood with any pork is apple, cherry and oak. For a short smoke like tenderloins or chops it is cherry. Your glaze sounds delicious. Here in NC slaw is pretty much a necessity.

Those sliders sure look good.

Comment

Those look perfect!!! We like to cut them thick and wrap in bacon then just grill direct hot and fast...Yum.

Comment

Looks great! You definitely need to go light on the smoke for a tenderloin. You can just put a sheet of tin foil under the meat on the charcoal grate instead of a drip pan. It’ll also help direct all the air to the coals.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, of course. Foil would be easier. The two thing I just seem to always forget are the foil liner and to oil the grates! I'm confident I'll always remember next time. And then I don't.

I rarely make pork tenderloins, but them are among th finest I've seen come down th Pike, amigo!

Nicely Done!!!!

Comment

What I may do as an experiment next time is instead of cleaning out the seeds and membrane of the habanero, just leave them in and compare how much hotter it gets.

Many years ago, while chopping an innocuous jalapeno, I got a serious chile burn, which I compounded by wiping my eyes. (Oops.) So I'm overly-careful around peppers. I handle anything the chile touches with gloves taking exceptional care not to touch anything else with those gloves! Anything used in chile preparation is quickly removed from the counter into the sink, if not outright into the dishwasher.

Here's a quick shot of the start of all of it. Respect the pepper!

In the end, I am really surprised how mild the habanero was as far as heat. I guess that really is all in the membrane/seeds. Lovely fruity flavor, though.

Name:	IMG-3407.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	746743

Comment

I’d consider using a second habanero but still removing the seeds and membrane. That way you’ll get more heat and more of the flavor instead of just more heat from leaving the seeds and membrane in. Habaneros are extremely hot if the seeds and membrane aren’t removed.

Comment

I like pork tenderloins, but they are sensitive to being overcooked. You nailed it indeed! I also LOVE cherry wood with pork, it is my goto wood for pork in general.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steven Raichlen often uses the phrase "perfumed with wood smoke" and that is exactly the flavor two chucks of cherry wood brought to this. Very happy with how it turned out. Probably my best smoke flavor to date.

I'll need to try that variation. I usually start by trimming the bad stuff, tie up tenderloin so it is as even around as I can get it, put it into a gallon zip lock bag, sprinkle on some Memphis Dust, a couple scoops or so of Peach Butter and squeeze a generous portion of honey into the mix and put in fridge overnight being sure to get full coverage of contents. Cook as you do to 145* and enjoy. And yes, cherry is the only wood I use for pork.

Comment

That looks marvelous!

Comment

Looks really, really good! Hey, a little drippy goo doesn’t hurt. Just do a cook where you mess somethin else up & have a touch of a raging flare up & you’ll burn the goo right off. 🕶

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                      Michael_in_TX commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, that is what I did when I did my first ten-hour pork butt -- and forgot the drip pan. A little direct grilling does tend to incinerate the goo!

Nice job on that loin, I even love the sandwich idea !! Next you need to try filleting one open and wrapping them around a variety of meats, cheeses or even veggies !! Again, nice work !!

Comment

That is a nice looking piece of meat. Great work!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here